Niche Zero grinder - Page 64

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaveC

#631: Post by DaveC »

deed wrote:Is the logo removable? Is it weird that the only thing off putting and making me step away from this purchase is the circle logo at the front
Yes, I do think it's a little weird if I am honest.

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#632: Post by randyr5 »

An observation and a question - after having owned the Niche for about a month now with its grind quality and ease of use, I don't really see how a grinder costing 4-5 times as much (or more) produces a drink that is that much better. I know there are some here that may have purchased expensive grinders. Are they really that much better than the Niche as far as quality in the cup? I'm super happy with what I'm getting with the NZ.

discsinthesky

#633: Post by discsinthesky replying to randyr5 »

Most of what you're getting at 4-5 times the NZ is commercial grade equipment, better alignment, different (and bigger) burrs, etc. Difference in the cup may be negligible depending on your subjective tastes and desires, but lifespan of the equipment is often something you're buying in those price ranges.

ash4889

#634: Post by ash4889 »

randyr5 wrote:An observation and a question - I'm super happy with what I'm getting with the NZ.
I know exactly what you mean Randy, the second laid
my eyes on it I put my Grinder up for sale...... Only problem is no espresso until March,

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#635: Post by randyr5 »

discsinthesky wrote:Most of what you're getting at 4-5 times the NZ is commercial grade equipment, better alignment, different (and bigger) burrs, etc. Difference in the cup may be negligible depending on your subjective tastes and desires, but lifespan of the equipment is often something you're buying in those price ranges.
I hear you, but a lot of people are using these in a home environment where they're not getting a ton of use. I'm not saying it's a waste of money, but for me it's money better spent elsewhere.

CarloM

#636: Post by CarloM replying to randyr5 »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say people paying $2K-5K for a grinder aren't skipping meals and foreclosing houses to do so. If they're in the market for it, they have the disposable income to do it and are making the choice for themselves.

Some guy's Ferrari goes the same 15mph in gridlock that a Honda does, but the Ferrari owner knows what they wanted out of their car when they bought it, and for them, it wasn't money that "could have been better spent elsewhere" but rather "money spent exactly where they wanted it spent."

redbone

#637: Post by redbone replying to CarloM »

Keep in mind what a winter vacation costs to the south, here and gone a week later. These excursions set me back equal to some nice espresso hardware which I would rather have. Wife on the other hand has different priorities. Still cheaper than an unhappy spouse.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#638: Post by randyr5 »

CarloM wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say people paying $2K-5K for a grinder aren't skipping meals and foreclosing houses to do so. If they're in the market for it, they have the disposable income to do it and are making the choice for themselves.

Some guy's Ferrari goes the same 15mph in gridlock that a Honda does, but the Ferrari owner knows what they wanted out of their car when they bought it, and for them, it wasn't money that "could have been better spent elsewhere" but rather "money spent exactly where they wanted it spent."
I totally agree. I did say "for me it's money better spent elsewhere." To each his own. Plus, I was originally asking if a grinder in that price range makes that big a difference in the end product in the cup, and not questioning the sanity of people that buy high-end grinders.

sweaner

#639: Post by sweaner »

redbone wrote:Keep in mind what a winter vacation costs to the south, here and gone a week later.
Now that you mention it, just got back from Disney World. for what it cost for the 6 of us in a budget resort, though with the deluxe meal plan, I could have bought ALL 3 MONOLITHS, with some cash to spare! :roll:
Scott
LMWDP #248

HH

#640: Post by HH »

randyr5 wrote:I totally agree. I did say "for me it's money better spent elsewhere." To each his own. Plus, I was originally asking if a grinder in that price range makes that big a difference in the end product in the cup, and not questioning the sanity of people that buy high-end grinders.
I wonder also whether part of the desire to buy grinders which are known to be very expensive ties in with our current societal drive for invidious and conspicuous consumption. I am sure the grinders costing $2k more are, indeed, better, but for me I'm happy with what I have.

Some people take pleasure in knowing that they have 'the best' grinder, and that may well be influencing such a purchase as well as buying something with a proven track record, brand cachet and a design they find aesthetically pleasing regardless of the presence or absence of a big difference in grind quality.