Niche Zero grinder - Page 62

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Brother_Bluto

#611: Post by Brother_Bluto » Jan 15, 2019, 9:44 am

NZ advertises the unit has a wide range of grind capabilities... including course enough for French Press. Anyone tried it for French Press... and if so, what are the results in grind? I just ordered my HG-1, and would sell my two electric grinders (Espresso & FP) if it is truly a "do-all" grinder.

tglodjo

#612: Post by tglodjo » Jan 15, 2019, 10:20 am

I've been going between pour over (Kalita Wave, V60) and espresso almost daily. I don't brew FP. But from my experience so far, it's the closest to an all-in-one I've ever tried, especially with its ease of us in adjusting back and forth, holding the setting, and not needing to resettle and cause sink shots. I sold my Olympus and Sette (espresso and manual brew grinding) and am perfectly happy using only the Niche now.

dale_cooper

#613: Post by dale_cooper » replying to tglodjo » Jan 15, 2019, 10:54 am

That's awesome - so for brew/pour method, the grind is consistent with minimal fines? I'd also like to hear from more people on the grind performance for various brew methods. We already know its very good for espresso.

tglodjo

#614: Post by tglodjo » Jan 15, 2019, 11:05 am

dale_cooper wrote:That's awesome - so for brew/pour method, the grind is consistent with minimal fines?
Yes. Granted the Sette (with BG burrs) isn't that great for pour over grinding, but the Niche is night and day difference in the lesser amount on fines produced. Have also compared with Virtuoso, Vario, and Feldgrind. The Niche is probably closest to my Feldgrind in terms of coarser consistency. I can't compare it to an EK43 or anything like that, but I've been very impressed when compared to my (limited) experience with other "all-in-one" type grinders.

mdreuben

#615: Post by mdreuben » Jan 15, 2019, 3:01 pm

This looks great, can you let us know when it's posted?

Thanks!

mdreuben

#616: Post by mdreuben » Jan 15, 2019, 4:17 pm

jchung wrote:... PF Funnel with a front and back tab. I tightened up the PF Funnel as well so that it is tight enough to stay put and but still remove reasonably easily.

I'll update Thingiverse for both the PF Stand and Funnels later today.

Here is a video of the PF stand in use...

This looks great, can you let us know when it's posted?

Abnuceals

#617: Post by Abnuceals » Jan 15, 2019, 5:51 pm

Just received this answer from Niche : Thanks for reaching out. We plan to ship to Canada very soon !
I think this is positive and we can hope to have the ZN in Canada in a near future.
The ZN would be perfect with my CT1.
LMWDP 389

TheN5OfOntario

#618: Post by TheN5OfOntario » replying to Abnuceals » Jan 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Hahahah! I'm having one shipped to friends in San Diego who are then shipping it to me in Canada. If only this came a month ago :)

trunks235

#619: Post by trunks235 » Jan 15, 2019, 6:37 pm

Cool holder, jchung!

Unrelated to that, after watching the video it looks like the grinds are a bit clumpy. Is this normal?

Javier

#620: Post by Javier » Jan 15, 2019, 7:11 pm

Abnuceals wrote:Just received this answer from Niche : Thanks for reaching out. We plan to ship to Canada very soon !
I think this is positive and we can hope to have the ZN in Canada in a near future.
C'est très bien!!!
LMWDP #115