Niche Zero grinder - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aecletec

#41: Post by aecletec »

After reading the review my skepticism has lessened somewhat - but seems like adjustability, particularly in the espresso range wasn't reported on.
I notice differences with small adjustments even on the big Robur collar, so maybe this is one of the areas it's lacking... pretty short list, it seems!

As a user of Nordic style roast for espresso, Turkish, etc the issues of adjustability, fineness and maybe even alignment are good reasons for me to have spent big bucks, but for more mainstream users this seems a winner...

DaveC

#42: Post by DaveC »

aecletec wrote:After reading the review my skepticism has lessened somewhat - but seems like adjustability, particularly in the espresso range wasn't reported on.
I notice differences with small adjustments even on the big Robur collar, so maybe this is one of the areas it's lacking... pretty short list, it seems!
It has excellent adjustability in the espresso range. I think you can see that in one of the Videos and thought I mentioned it in the review. I guess it does depend on what you personally define as small vs large adjustment. Certainly i think it's going to be fine for most normal users. If your looking for a 180 degree turn of the adjustment ring for a few seconds on the pour...no it's not going to do that. However that would require a very very fine thread to be practical in normal use?

I also specifically mentioned it was not designed for Turkish grinding (most grinders/burrs are not), I am sure have read that, but I should stress it, just in case anyone reading gets confused.

Advertisement
aecletec

#43: Post by aecletec »

Hi Dave,
I hope I haven't misrepresented your review. I can see that you mention it's easy to adjust a few times, but the usable arc is probably what would have twigged as a descriptor for me. I would say I use about 90 degrees of my Robur dial for espresso within a few grams of dose depending on the coffee, so I suppose my comments are in view of that. It's a different league to be sure (mine's third hand so in the price range, though!).
It's good to read the list of potential negatives is vanishingly small - yes I should also note that I mentioned it to indicate excluding myself from a list of potential buyers and that I use my Robur for Turkish because my Super Caimano (AUD1500 new) won't do it... it gets clogged!

Tonefish

#44: Post by Tonefish »

double0 wrote: To be fair, i must say im not a big fan of this units general design (asthetic) nor the quality as we can see from afar but maybe the name does say it all?
For the price range, it might be the best grinder for your money??

ok, all im saying is to give this little guy a try and allow it to help make the change in market for a better retail grinder and possibly bring down the price of the mighty top shelf.
I agree on the aesthetics and I think white is the worst color for coffee gear besides cups. I do also hope it is a great grinder at it's price point. Someone should be able to put together a really solid electric grinder for under a grand. Let's hope this is it!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

DaveC

#45: Post by DaveC »

aecletec wrote:Hi Dave,
I hope I haven't misrepresented your review. I can see that you mention it's easy to adjust a few times, but the usable arc is probably what would have twigged as a descriptor for me. I would say I use about 90 degrees of my Robur dial for espresso within a few grams of dose depending on the coffee, so I suppose my comments are in view of that. It's a different league to be sure (mine's third hand so in the price range, though!).
It's good to read the list of potential negatives is vanishingly small - yes I should also note that I mentioned it to indicate excluding myself from a list of potential buyers and that I use my Robur for Turkish because my Super Caimano (AUD1500 new) won't do it... it gets clogged!
No I don't believe you misrepresented the review at all, it's what you got from it and that's fair enough. If anything it's my fault as a reviewer if you didn't get what I was trying to put across.

On the Niche, I found all the espresso adjustment I would probably use as in a 45 degree arc, but I do roast my own coffee, so it's usually fresh. I must say that in all the grinders I have ever used, Mazzers (including the robur), compaks, macaps, ceado etc.. I have never used 90 degrees of adjustment (when they adjust that way) for my espresso range, at most around 45 degrees is used? My big E92 conical I only ever adjust with a 30 degree arc depending on the coffee and age.

pj.walczak

#46: Post by pj.walczak »

Just received this update. so you can still but Niche with 30% discount. Great news!

Update 2
It's been a bit of a breathless first 48 hours for the Niche Zero Indiegogo campaign.

We were amazed to see how fast the first 50 units at £350 sold out (just 50 minutes after launch).

After a lot of discussions and feedback, we have decided to release a further 150 units at £350 and also ship to Australia, so more people have a chance to buy at the original 30% discount.

So don't miss out on getting your Niche Zero in this exclusive deal!

The Niche Team

Link to campaign - https://igg.me/at/nichezerogrinder
---

Pawel

Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#47: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) »

Sigh, I'm jumping on board at 350. I still hope for a black version, but I think this will be a solid upgrade to my Lido 3 and hold me over for several years.

Advertisement
redbone

#48: Post by redbone »

Would this also ship to Canada ?
I agree with white not being the ideal colour as black or silver would have been a better standard choice.
Noticed shipping won't be until June 2018, ouch 10 months is a long time to wait.
Like the concept. Best of luck. I believe the market desires a small robust large burr grinder under $700 usd.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

DaveC

#49: Post by DaveC »

Fluffeepuff wrote:Sigh, I'm jumping on board at 350. I still hope for a black version, but I think this will be a solid upgrade to my Lido 3 and hold me over for several years.
I think it will tide you over for a very long time....I have a Ceado E92 and I'm buying one. Since I have had it on test I have not used the Ceado E92 once and have not felt the inclination to.....until the Niche prototype goes back I guess.

Redbone, it's funny as a Brit I sort of think of America and Canada as brother and sister, assumed you guys are very close and it's difficult to see a shipping issue between the two countries (sort of like England and Scotland)...I expect I am completely wrong though?

Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#50: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) replying to DaveC »

Dave, one thing I was curious about. You have mentioned a couple times that the performance with your Niche has been so good (perfect pours) that you don't use your Ceado. Does your Ceado not perform how it would be expected? I would imagine the niche to be on par with the E92, not better. The convenience of single dosing is obvious - which is why I jumped on the bandwagon. You're basically the mascot for this project after your review; and I'm still a but surprised how enthusiastic you are when you already own a phenomenal grinder.

For the record, your review is the reason I chose to trust the crowdfunding campaign... Assuming they stick with Burr group A ;)