Niche Zero grinder - Page 34

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#331: Post by redbone »

Stevebcoffee wrote:Redesign the whole grinder based on one in 500 having an issue with grind slippage, one example being 1/80th of an increment per espresso.I'm not a gambling man but I'd say no............................
This maybe an early indicator of a problem a year from now or five years from now.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

thirdshifter

#332: Post by thirdshifter »

Talked to Martin yesterday about grind slippage. He was very apologetic. He says it's not a mass problem but is being reported by a handful of users (out of ~700 shipped). He offered me immediate refund or exchange -- or he could help me try to figure out the issue for a few days (and then still get refund/exchange if it can't be fixed remotely). I was game to investigate the problem a bit more with Martin, and will get an exchange if we can't figure it out via email/phone.

The working theory is that it may be the outer burr (or the moulding it's attached to) sticking or catching against something when the springs are compressed (at espresso settings). Or maybe the side of one of the springs is catching somewhere in the slot. When I take off the adjustment funnel and press down on the outer burr, it doesn't go up and down smoothly -- it catches a lot and feels rough when compressed (probably near espresso settings). Martin says it should travel up and down on the springs smoothly. If the outer burr were catching somewhere then it wouldn't be applying the upward pressure of the springs up against the adjustment funnel -- this would allow the adjustment funnel to "creep" with vibrations.

Still not sure if it will be fixable or I'll need exchange. I tried removing the three bolts and re-attaching the outer burr to the black moulding a couple times, but it still felt rough going up and down against the springs. Will update when I have more info.

cafemolino

#333: Post by cafemolino »

Good old British Quality :D Made in Germany....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Germany

rynogee

#334: Post by rynogee »

thirdshifter wrote:Talked to Martin yesterday about grind slippage. He was very apologetic. He says it's not a mass problem but is being reported by a handful of users (out of ~700 shipped). He offered me immediate refund or exchange -- or he could help me try to figure out the issue for a few days (and then still get refund/exchange if it can't be fixed remotely). I was game to investigate the problem a bit more with Martin, and will get an exchange if we can't figure it out via email/phone..
Sounds like pretty good support to me.

HH

#335: Post by HH replying to rynogee »

Me too - I'm happy with how Martin seems to be handling things. This makes me far less worried about the one or two reports of tiny amounts of burr creep.

GregoryJ

#336: Post by GregoryJ »

Just saw on the indiegogo that there are a couple of USA units available for order, in case anyone was waiting.

EddyQ

#337: Post by EddyQ »

thirdshifter wrote:-- this would allow the adjustment funnel to "creep" with vibrations.
After running my grinder for a few weeks now and removing my upper burr, I noticed what looked like a penciled ring around the burr where I suspect it rubs the aluminum housing. This tells me that the burr is moving with vibrations, hitting around the top edge and maybe helping the ring move. My ring is not moving, but maybe your vibrations are just hitting the note that does cause movement. I'm starting to think a third spring or stronger springs might help. Or add something that absorbs vibrations a bit.
LMWDP #671

Lowellw2

#338: Post by Lowellw2 »

Stevebcoffee wrote:Just a thought but if it was twice as tool, whilst it might look as good, it will be high enough to maybe not need the dosing ring.
I use the cup myself as it suits my workflow.
Good point. My reason for "designing" this prototype was to provide some workflow for my circumstances. Trying to decant the dose from the 58mm cup into my 53mm portafilter was "less than ideal" given my barely open eyes. I like the idea of the cup and possibly Niche will make other sizes for those of us with non so called "standard" 58mm. I tested my holder higher and because of the slant of the grinder body there was some interference with the dosing ring and also difficulty removing the portafilter. I also have noticed more static dispersion for some unknown reason. I didn't seem to have such a problem using the cup. I tried a glass spice sized bottle but that was a disaster. So far my best workflow is to just hold the portafilter close to the nozzle with the dosing ring present. I could always buy a new espresso machine with an e-61 group.

jchung

#339: Post by jchung replying to Lowellw2 »

Clearly buying a new espresso machine to go with the NZ is the route to go. :)

DaveC

#340: Post by DaveC »

EddyQ wrote:After running my grinder for a few weeks now and removing my upper burr, I noticed what looked like a penciled ring around the burr where I suspect it rubs the aluminum housing. This tells me that the burr is moving with vibrations, hitting around the top edge and maybe helping the ring move. My ring is not moving, but maybe your vibrations are just hitting the note that does cause movement. I'm starting to think a third spring or stronger springs might help. Or add something that absorbs vibrations a bit.
Manufacturing artefact courtesy of Mazzer, especially if it's at about the midpoint of the burrs. It would be interesting to see photo.

There would also be a witness mark on the Al bore if it happened in grinder (especially if Al marked a hardened steel burr)....did you check for that?