Niche Zero grinder - Page 32

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tohenk2

Postby tohenk2 » Oct 22, 2018, 3:55 pm

malling wrote:But again European vendors and manufacturers in this field aren't exactly known for great customer service.

I think that changing the statement from "British" to "European" is again a too general overstatement.

Before the internet there used to be importers and local representatives on both sides of the pond to speed things up ... but that costs money (guess who pays?) and besides, for a relatively small business you can not expect that.

This Indiegogo campaign has delivered and even has a warranty. (Most do not, think off the VOOM!) So you can expect the warranty to apply.
I for one hope (and fully expect) that this issue will be taken care off.

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Oct 23, 2018, 7:08 pm

sweaner wrote:I would be surprised if this small amount of "play" in the adjustment ring would cause a problem.

I agree ring movement should not cause a problem. However, when the ring moves, so does the upper burr.

The ring on my Niche, best I could measure with dial indicator is 0.016" front to back. Side to side was the same. This translated to the top edge of the burr moving 0.006" front to back. I tried to measure the very bottom of the burr, but couldn't get down and get a reliable measurement. But close to bottom, the burr was moving 0.004 - 0.005". I also took out the top burr and measured its OD 2.479". But my dial calipers could not get in enough to measure the inside bore.

The inner burr shaft had only 0.0005" play. But I could not verify how concentric it was. But it looked less than 0.0015".

I'm not sure how good or bad this is. I do know pushing ring all around and back to middle had no effect on my espresso grind.

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Oct 23, 2018, 7:39 pm

tohenk2 wrote:In the foot of the grinder. Take off the round piece of wood, unscrew one bolt (hex key needed) remove the big piece of wood and there they should be.

Yup. Right there.

Lowellw2

Postby Lowellw2 » Oct 23, 2018, 9:41 pm

HH wrote:Good to hear youve had success grinding direct, I'm interested to see your portafilter holder when it's ready!

Here's my first try to make a portafilter holder. It functions but more thought needed. It turns on the bolt head like the original cup holder. I noticed some some of the dreaded "drift" over the weekend.

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » Oct 24, 2018, 12:05 am

Looks great. That's a great idea man! Looks very clean.

thirdshifter

Postby thirdshifter » Oct 24, 2018, 2:39 am

Just as an update: Martin from Niche left me a message today and we're going to chat on the phone about my grind setting slippage issues tomorrow.

HH

Postby HH » Oct 24, 2018, 4:24 am

Lowellw2 wrote:Here's my first try to make a portafilter holder. It functions but more thought needed. It turns on the bolt head like the original cup holder.

Hey that looks ace - thanks for posting pictures!

tohenk2

Postby tohenk2 » Oct 24, 2018, 11:57 am

thirdshifter wrote:Just as an update: Martin from Niche left me a message today and we're going to chat on the phone about my grind setting slippage issues tomorrow.

Great!
Eager to know what will be the solution.

BWA

Postby BWA » Oct 24, 2018, 5:40 pm

thirdshifter wrote:Just as an update: Martin from Niche left me a message today and we're going to chat on the phone about my grind setting slippage issues tomorrow.

My Niche slips too. I wiped off the surfaces with alcohol swabs based on email exchanges with Niche, but it still slips. I will be interested to hear the most recent solution.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

Postby sweaner » Oct 24, 2018, 6:31 pm

I have not noted any slippage yet but was pondering possible easy solutions.

One thought was to stick a couple of silicone picture bumpers as linked below onto the adjustment ring. if the thickness is just right then the closed lid could act as a locking mechanism to hold the ring in place.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bumpers-Adhesi ... dpSrc=srch
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com