Niche Zero grinder - Page 295

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dndrich

#2941: Post by dndrich »

MCal2003 wrote:Off line apparently too long. Forgot the password & defunct email address. Not my first post, but technically yes.

A thanks to DaveC for his review and (forgotten) who posted the "warts and all" YTube video.

First single dose grinder ordered (scheduled for May shipping). Over the decades a ? make, Mazzer Mini, then Macap M7 user. Plus a shelf of classic old hand grinders. Machines are down to the two newest. '03 MCal and just purchased Flair 58. Discovered the Flair is requiring a finer grind than the Elektra. The worm drive adjustment on the Macap requires too many rotations is inconvenient even if not pulling side by side. Plus the wasted coffee to flush out the retention. My "excuse" for another grinder. If this grinder is as sweet as hoped for the Macap will join the Ponte Vecchio 2 lever in storage.

The question???? How many grams-kilos of beans did it take to season the burrs on the Niche Zero? I think it was BlackCat that noted 250gm or 1kilo or ?? Similar experiences?
You will love the Niche. It does well right out of the box. It became more consistent after around 2 kilos or so with me. But no need to season it. Just use it. For espresso in my hands with my Lelit Elizabeth I started with a grind of around mark 22 on the dial, which has now settled to around 16-17 depending on the coffee. Your mileage may vary...

MCal2003

#2942: Post by MCal2003 »

So far, after a few days of use. Happy with the grinder. The ease to adjust grind level when switching between the Flair 58 and MCal is a big plus. With the current origin, roast level, RH it's 6 indicator points. Beats cranking the worm gear on the old Macap M7 multiple cranks. Plus the sacrificial waste to flush was a waste of coffee. NZ, while not zero retention is so minimal. When it comes down to grind quality and taste. Toss up between the two grinders. Once the burrs are seasoned the comparison will be interesting. NZ just makes life easier. Wastes less coffee. Will like the NZ even more if the probably significant increase in price of greens occurs.

Quick look at the owner's manual. I think it noted 10kg to season the burrs.
LMWDP #151

Kinukcafe

#2943: Post by Kinukcafe »

Sorry if there is previous discussion on this topic.

I just placed an order for the NZ. Is there any accessories recommended for workflow and aesthetic reason? (I am using Robot).

Have anyone changed the colour of it?

Jeff
Team HB

#2944: Post by Jeff »

Nothing really "needed" as it was designed as a low-retention, single-dosing grinder and achieved that goal admirably.

Some people find a "puffer" useful to get out the last 0.1-0.3 g. I've used the Fanwer "Palm Chest Percussion Therapy Cup - Chest Physical Therapy Aids(CPT), Mucus Removal Device, Helps to Break up Mucus by Percussion and Postural Drainage, Professional Sputum" as well as the "ASPECTEK Safe and Practical Insect and Ant Killer Powder Duster." bulb. Both work well. My dog chewed the first one and I happened to have the second on another grinder on the counter, so just used it for both.

I've had a Niche Zero apart and it should be possible to powder coat, paint, or perhaps "wrap" it. I don't recall any photos of people that have done that. I don't know how badly you'd trash the resale value by anything non-reversible.

MCal2003

#2945: Post by MCal2003 »

Kinukcafe wrote:Sorry if there is previous discussion on this topic.

I just placed an order for the NZ. Is there any accessories recommended for workflow and aesthetic reason? (I am using Robot).

Have anyone changed the colour of it?
Not sure what size your Robot uses. Dosing cup for 58mm portafilters on the Flair 58 works great. Just invert and the ground fill the basket. Needing to use a dosing funnel on the MCal's 49mm. Otherwise it would require a careful "pour" or direct into the basket.
LMWDP #151

Kinukcafe

#2946: Post by Kinukcafe »

The robot PF is also 58mm. Could you share the link of the dosing cup?

MCal2003

#2947: Post by MCal2003 replying to Kinukcafe »

Dosing cup should have read grind cup. Comes std with the grinder.
The smooth interior surface and double walled design reduces retention to zero under the right environmental conditions. Received the NZ in May. Not sure how our low RH winter days will effect the cup. Guessing maybe a little static cling. Not concerned if total retention between the grinder and cup ends up ~0.2gm of a 16gm dose. Not too hung up if ~1% of the dose doesn't end up in the basket. Doubt if my palate would notice the difference.
LMWDP #151

iploya

#2948: Post by iploya »

Kinukcafe wrote:Is there any accessories recommended for workflow and aesthetic reason?
The Decent portafilter stand and filter are good for worfklow reasons. Somewhere I have a post piggybacking off of someone else's post. The dosing cup is one way to do it but to me it's an unnecessary extra step.

Jeff
Team HB

#2949: Post by Jeff »

With a Niche you can grind directly into a bare basket and funnel. That's my preferred approach when I can get the basket under the chute.

cafeIKE

#2950: Post by cafeIKE replying to Jeff »

+1

The dosing cup does not distribute evenly and IMO the dumping negatively affects 'layering', for want of a better term.
For the coffees used here, a spreader in the funnel is preferred to any other distribution method.
See Funnel that fits Niche Zero dosing cup?

Multiple spreaders required. 1mm steps for optimum distribution with a wide range of coffees