Niche Zero grinder - Page 293

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jshot
Supporter ♡

#2921: Post by Jshot »

scrane wrote:Can you provide a reference for this statement? With the diameter of the wheel and the fineness of the thread and the amount of engagement it would be remarkable if a heavy grease wouldn't dampen movement. Have you ever used a manual focus lens? That's grease damping movement.
Yes. As I've mentioned several times already, Niche recommended using food safe silicone grease to remedy my rough turning collar.

I should have it tomorrow and I'll report back on the results.

cafeIKE

#2922: Post by cafeIKE »

scrane wrote:I would imagine at one time you cleaned the threads and used silicone oil or low viscosity grease to relube instead of a thicker grease.
Nope. They came dry.
The issue I had was the gradual coarsening with use. BEFORE I cleaned it. Niche sent me springs. No fixie.
Without springs, the upper burr carrier all but spins in.

It's possible I have an upper tolerance base and lower tolerance carrier. All the large commercial grinders I previously owned would back out their upper carrier against the gear drive.

A camera lens does not have a motor hammering away. The amount of lube is a very thin film of low viscosity oil. The focus ring adjusts via a cam which is sufficiently steep to hold. Lenses have baffles to keep dust and grit from contaminating the lubricant and locking the adjustment ring.

scrane wrote:You're the one who has to slap a doorstop into his Niche.
:roll:

100% position hold. 100% removable. 0% failure possibility. Win, Win, Win :!:

DaveC

#2923: Post by DaveC »

Is it worth just wrapping a few turns of PTFE around the thread, should tighten things up a bit.

Another option would be to matt off the surface of the top burr carrier polymer part and ensure it's degreased.

cafeIKE

#2924: Post by cafeIKE »

Things that use Teflon tape have flats for wrenches or get severely marred with a pipe wrench.
If it jams, the grinder is toast.
Cleaning Teflon tape from threads is a PITA.

scrane

#2925: Post by scrane »

cafeIKE wrote:Nope. They came dry.
The issue I had was the gradual coarsening with use. BEFORE I cleaned it. Niche sent me springs. No fixie.
Without springs, the upper burr carrier all but spins in.

It's possible I have an upper tolerance base and lower tolerance carrier. All the large commercial grinders I previously owned would back out their upper carrier against the gear drive.

A camera lens does not have a motor hammering away. The amount of lube is a very thin film of low viscosity oil. The focus ring adjusts via a cam which is sufficiently steep to hold. Lenses have baffles to keep dust and grit from contaminating the lubricant and locking the adjustment ring.

:roll:

100% position hold. 100% removable. 0% failure possibility. Win, Win, Win :!:
So, you are running this with no lube at all? Niche shipped it that way? Did you mention this to Niche and they said OK to no lube? There should be some damping resistance to spin. No wonder your setting drifts. And you refuse to add grease, why?

The manual focus lenses I've had apare consist of helicoids. Zoom mechanisms generally use cams.

BodieZoffa

#2926: Post by BodieZoffa »

cafeIKE wrote:Things that use Teflon tape have flats for wrenches or get severely marred with a pipe wrench.
If it jams, the grinder is toast.
Cleaning Teflon tape from threads is a PITA.
Really depends on the thickness/density of teflon tape as I've used it for several grinders over the years with NO issues. To remove it in seconds just takes a toothpick/brush and it's done. Main thing to be mindful of is starting the threads slowly to ensure things align and it's good.

cafeIKE

#2927: Post by cafeIKE »

scrane wrote:So, you are running this with no lube at all?
Yup
scrane wrote: Niche shipped it that way?
Yup
scrane wrote:Did you mention this to Niche and they said OK to no lube?
I complained the grinder was backing out. They sent springs. Didn't work. No mention of lube.
scrane wrote:There should be some damping resistance to spin. No wonder your setting drifts.
I have 100% resistance to reverse back out spin. Setting does not drift. IMO, it's a design flaw. Perhaps the only one. Time will tell.
scrane wrote:And you refuse to add grease, why?
Are you an engineer? I was. Grit and grease are a bad mix in fine threads. I'm 100% certain I shall no further issue with my solution. That can't be said for others.

Does it look like I have any issues from the grinder?

BodieZoffa

#2928: Post by BodieZoffa »

cafeIKE wrote:Yup

Yup

I complained the grinder was backing out. They sent springs. Didn't work. No mention of lube.

I have 100% resistance to reverse back out spin. Setting does not drift. IMO, it's a design flaw. Perhaps the only one. Time will tell.

Are you an engineer? I was. Grit and grease are a bad mix in fine threads. I'm 100% certain I shall no further issue with my solution. That can't be said for others.

Does it look like I have any issues from the grinder?
video
Ever hear of Engineering Catastrophes?

scrane

#2929: Post by scrane »

cafeIKE wrote:Yup

Are you an engineer? I was.
video
My job title was Field Service Engineer, but actually I was just a repair man. But I did work with a lot of Engineers just like you. I know the type.
You have to employ a work-around because you are not following the manufacturer's recommendations and then calling it a design flaw.

cafeIKE

#2930: Post by cafeIKE »

Niche did not recommend lube. I implemented their recommended and supplied solution. It failed.

Suppose I slather it up with grease or fill it up with PTFE tape? And that does not work?
And it jams when I try to take it apart to clean?