Niche Zero grinder - Page 30

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thirdshifter

#291: Post by thirdshifter »

I emailed Niche on Monday about continued grind slippage during grinding. Have yet to hear back. I don't want to do any sanding or anything else until I hear what they advise. Will update when I hear something...

tohenk2

#292: Post by tohenk2 replying to thirdshifter »

If you ever have an chance to talk to someone who does paint-jobs on cars etc., you could ask how they feel about wax with silicones and how they remove it.

(I think it comes down to either dump the part or sand it down... since you have two sides touching you would need to treat both sides.)

BTW I did not have the settings creep anywhere in the time I'm using it and that includes more than 20 shots on one day on the same setting.

DaveC

#293: Post by DaveC »

thirdshifter wrote:I emailed Niche on Monday about continued grind slippage during grinding. Have yet to hear back. I don't want to do any sanding or anything else until I hear what they advise. Will update when I hear something...
Definitely wise to wait and see what they say.

tohenk2

#294: Post by tohenk2 »

I had to pull quite a few shot for some visiting relatives - and the workflow is actually speedier grinding in a cup vs grinding in the portafilter.
(Not that I was/am in a hurry! And the Macap M4D grinds faster than the Niche Zero, but the workflow with a cup just works better for me.)

I do not properly switch of until the end of the run, I just open the lid to stop grinding, tip in a new batch, close the lid when the cup is in place again. Open lid, tip in a new batch, remove cup to use contents and place it back, close lid etc. The grinder is ready before the portafilter is used and emptied again.

Lowellw2

#295: Post by Lowellw2 »

Just a FYI for some. I've started grinding directly into my portafilter because I have a LaSpaziale Dream which uses a 53mm portafilter so using the supplied cup became more than a pain. I recently got the aluminum funnel made by Orphan Espresso and now am a happy doser. No spillage and a couple of settling taps then tamp. Now I'm thinking of making a portafilter holder on my lathe out of matching wood species which will replace the round cup holder. I haven't solved how I'll keep the portafilter from tipping over but things will work out. I've found the Niche Zero to produce very consistent and easily adjustable results. Dialing new beans in has presented few "fails".

HH

#296: Post by HH »

Good to hear youve had success grinding direct, I'm interested to see your portafilter holder when it's ready!

Lowellw2

#297: Post by Lowellw2 replying to HH »

Well now the pressure is on and I'm committed. However, I did manage to wander out to my shop and pick up a piece of wood to make a pattern. :D Don't hold your breath though. My wife let me go 19 years before I finished the stairway railings in our house. I sure hope this grinder has a long life as it sure seems to produce nice fluffy consistent output. I get no clumping at all. Niche was very prudent in letting Dave C tear it apart as I find his reviews "spot on".

thirdshifter

#298: Post by thirdshifter »

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't heard from Niche in over a week, despite my settings creep issue -- they seemed pretty gung-ho about fixing my problem a week ago but since then, silence.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#299: Post by baristainzmking replying to thirdshifter »

That's disappointing.
Julia

malling

#300: Post by malling »

Not the first time a british grinder manufacture is incapable off replying back to it's customers. However they might just be on holiday or is occupied with allot of orders etc.