Niche Zero grinder - Page 287

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nrcoffee

#2861: Post by nrcoffee »

You can't adjust the grind while the niche is running unless you bypass the safety switch under the lid.

LewBK

#2862: Post by LewBK »

My impression is from searching this thread is that you can make small grind adjustments while the motor is turned off, but for larger ones you want to turn the motor on in increments of five or is it ten as you adjust, then turn off again and adjust more. Alternatively, you can bypass the turn off by holding down the safety switch like you said and adjusting. Is there a preferred method?

mbeck

#2863: Post by mbeck »

I rotate by max two ticks, then close the lid to run it for a sec, then open and rotate another two ticks, etc. Probably only needed for going coarse -> fine, but I do it both directions.

zix

#2864: Post by zix »

Yes, correct, only needed when going finer, and only then if you for some reason can't get all the coffee out.
If you can't go finer than a couple dots at a time I would encourage you to unscrew the whole thing and clean things up. Larger pieces may sometimes (seldom, but it happens) get wedged in somewhere. A brush and a more thorough cleaning sorts that out.
LMWDP #047

Rice Bowl

#2865: Post by Rice Bowl »

I just used a chopstick to push down the safety switch to adjust the grind settings finer with the burr spinning. When going coarser I don't bother.

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#2866: Post by jfjj »

I use chopsticks to bypass the safety lid when I adjust back to finer settings. I don't for coarser adjustments.
- Jean

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#2867: Post by jfjj »

Rice Bowl wrote:I just used a chopstick to push down the safety switch to adjust the grind settings finer with the burr spinning. When going coarser I don't bother.
Are we twins?
- Jean

LewBK

#2868: Post by LewBK »

But you can adjust finer with the machine off if the adjustment is a small amount, correct?

Rice Bowl

#2869: Post by Rice Bowl replying to LewBK »

I'm sure you can without consequence, I always just did it because it doesn't take much more effort with the chopstick. I'm assuming it's a bigger issue with flat burr grinders than conicals due to the nature of alignment and precision

cafeIKE

#2870: Post by cafeIKE »

The advice to have a grinder running when adjusting applies more to hoppered than single shot grinders.

The reason you want a hoppered grinder running is that you can jam the motor so it won't start.

Been adjusting my Zero for 3½ years for espresso only with no ill effects.