Niche Zero grinder - Page 277

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ConFlatExp

#2761: Post by ConFlatExp »

what settings do most of you use for brewing on the niche?

luvmy40

#2762: Post by luvmy40 replying to ConFlatExp »

The indicated settings are going vary widely from user to user based on a lot of things.

My fresh roasted medium to light Rwanda and Timor tends to be around 7-9 on the dial.

My medium/dark Brazil comes in around 13-15 for a good 1:2 pull.

jinrowang

#2763: Post by jinrowang »

Same here, I ended up using RDT and bellow to minimize it.

BlackCat

#2764: Post by BlackCat »

BlackCat wrote:So I think I can say that the Niche is very sensitive to burr seasoning... after 250g of coffee it was already better, and after 1 kg I have no static at all and no channeling anymore :)
Just noticed the static issue came back when switching again to settings 18, instead of 20-22 I was using recently. So that might be related to the fine grind setting actually.

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#2765: Post by randyr5 »

There were rumors a while back that SSP were going to make burrs for the Kony/Niche. Anything new on that front?

MichaelC

#2766: Post by MichaelC »

For those looking for a 49mm dosing cup, the grind chamber of the porlex mini is a perfect aesthetic and functional swap in.

Here it is in a 49mm MCAL basket.

And a side by side

katkat

#2767: Post by katkat »

MichaelC wrote:For those looking for a 49mm dosing cup
Posting a solution for non-58mm portafilters is appreciated. I have a 49mm and a 53mm machine. Not owning a Porlex, I may still looking for a dosing cup solution, although I found this tamp-through dosing funnel really great: https://www.etsy.com/listing/549687036/ ... FkQAvD_BwE

crazyascarl

#2768: Post by crazyascarl »

I posted elsewhere but maybe this is a better place...

So I've had a new to-to-me Niche zero for 3 months now and really love the process and the grind consistency.

About a month ago I started having some flow rate issues (way too fast) with my machine and did clean and recalibration, which helped with my shot quality. However, around the same time, and ever since, the machine is dropping more and more grinds, making more and more of a mess. I weigh my beans, run it through, give the machine/shoot a few taps after the the machine has finished/ before removing the dosing cup. Yet every time, there are always a decent amount of grounds that drop out when taking out/returning the dosing cup.

So I cleaned it out again, recalibrated it and it worked great... for a week, then it started "acting up again" (flow rate way too fast and dropping more grinds).

I cleaned it out again, recalibrated and tightened the bolt as tight as I could without wanting to completely torque down on the thing (I'm a former climber- I have a lot of grip strength) and once again it's fine... for now.

I feel like this can't be normal. Is my bolt just not sticking? What's going on and how do I resolve this?

I make espresso's as well as pour over, is there some nuance to switching back and forth? I haven't had a problem with pour over, but it could just be the nature of coarser grounds not being as finicky.

HotLava

#2769: Post by HotLava »

Yuba wrote:Has anyone had theirs for a while and had it started making a slightly higher pitched noise from the motor when running?

video
Hey man

I haven't been on the forums in a while. This week my niche changed pitch. I broke it down and cleaned it. It's not coming from the burr chamber. It has to be something with or around the motor. Has yours held up? Did it break down Mine? Mine is probably a year old or a little older.
Joe

bonjing

#2770: Post by bonjing »

After reading almost through the whole thread I get the following for first time users:

Check your screws make sure they are tight.

Calibrate only when the burrs are clean.

Not recommended to run cleaning agents in it.

The dial indicator doesn't really mean anything, meaning the "espresso range" may not be the true espresso range, for you. They are just reference points. Trust the look and feel of the grinds.

Be patient with your grinder as the burrs break in. Find your right setting and go from there. Not everyone's setting is the same

50/50 on the RDT water spritz. Many say don't use it others say no issue, really up to you. Recommended by DaveC, who did the testing, not to spritz.

Static from the Niche supplied cup can be remedied or lessened by polishing inside the cup. Or purchasing the Acaia cup.

A good mod to dose into a portafilter is to buy the Decent protafilter stand or make one. If buying the Decent you might have to drill the stand. Not sure but it looks like, from the Decent website, the stand may already come pre drilled.

Not everyone knows this but when reinstalling screws back them out till the threads engage then proceed to tighten the screws. This will greatly lessen the chance of cross threading.

Anything I've missed?

As a side note, does anyone know torque values for the screws? Inch pounds? Having read and watched videos to tighten the burrs a quick snap of the wrist will tighten but not everyone has the same degree of strength.