Niche Zero grinder - Page 268

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beer&mathematics

#2671: Post by beer&mathematics »

gesk wrote:Nothing changes as long as you are outside of the EU. Niche was already charging the same price for every country, which means everybody outside of EU / UK was already paying 20% more than they should have.
So the only difference now is that people in the EU will have to pay EU VAT on top of the price because UK VAT is no longer a substitute for EU VAT.
The price is still the same for everyone, but technically it is 20% more expensive for everyone living outside of the UK.
Thank you, that's what I thought and was hoping to hear for me (USA customer bought in Nov expecting it in Feb)!

Ouch an extra VAT tax for EU customers is indeed a tough pill to swallow.
LMWDP #431

grind727

#2672: Post by grind727 »

For those with February orders, they've begun shipping. I just received an email that mine has been "dispatched."
LMWDP #717

nicholasnumbers

#2673: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to grind727 »

I got an email from Slow Pour Supply saying that Niche has not let them know when November 2020 buyers would get their units.

I am starting to think that the distribution model broke down. Time to get my money back.

Nick

SticksAndSticks

#2674: Post by SticksAndSticks »

Another 80 in black got posted today to indiegogo for april delivery. Good luck!

If anyone sees one go up in white and wants to trade let me know. US version.

Willinak

#2675: Post by Willinak »

Got my shipping notice for Feb delivery. :roll:

pezzi

#2676: Post by pezzi »

Me, too - got my shipping notification (US) - can't wait to see in my cup what all the buzz is about!

MPantani

#2677: Post by MPantani »

About a year ago I posted that I was at Espresso Vivace here in Seattle and I noticed they were using to Niche grinders in addition to their custom-modded regular grinders. I asked the barista and he said that they just started experimenting with them. They picked the Niche for decaf because the single-dosing aspect was helpful when they do decaf shots only a few times an hour. The low grinds retention is important to keep stale grinds from spoiling the next shot. Those guys are crazy picky about the quality of their shots so using the Niche at all said a lot.

Vivace has a long history of experimentation. At first they were single-dosing the Niche grinders. Then they took a popcorn cup (or maybe it was a big gulp) and hose-clamped it to the top so they could improvise a hopper. Then they got serious and modified each grinder by adding a Mazzer hopper.

I was surprised this week when I went into the cafe and saw that Vivace is not using their other grinders any longer -- these were a special design and custom made. Now it's only the Niche Zero for both decaf and regular. They tell me that so far the machines have handled the load at the three cafes without a problem and they simply make better espresso than any other choice, mostly due to consistency and low grind retention. After a year they are not worried about durability. They say the only thing they've noticed is that the grind is a bit different as the weight of beans changes with the amount in the hopper. I didn't think to ask if they were using the disc modification but I suspect they are.

Vivace does a couple of hundred times the throughput of a household so I suspect that my Niche will last longer than I will.

https://espressovivace.com/niche-zero-grinder
https://dailycoffeenews.com/2019/08/30/ ... id-schomer

melnik

#2678: Post by melnik »

Yep... They bolted hoppers to niches :shock: David did call to action to grinder manufacturers and burr speed was something that was on his wish list.

pezzi

#2679: Post by pezzi »

Just received my Niche Zero! Can't wait to try it out ...

beer&mathematics

#2680: Post by beer&mathematics »

Yay! My Niche Zero arrived yesterday, as did 2 kg of Saka coffee (thanks to Ryan!).

Once I get the hang of it and run a few kg of coffee through it, I'll have to compare it to my trusty Pharos (in service since 2013).

I'm a bit hesitant to use RDT with the Niche since my Pharos burrs look like there's rust or goo built up from aggressive RDT through the years. For years I used the wet finger stir for RDT and it would sometimes get a lot of water on the beans and, thus, burrs. Now, I'm using a spray bottle which seems to put much less water on the beans.

Anyone, have a compelling reason to stop me from using RDT with the Niche Zero?
LMWDP #431