Niche Zero grinder - Page 257

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#2561: Post by Jeff »

I grew impatient and ordered a C40 w/RedClix. My Niche shipped early, the next day as a result.

Though a true story and far from guaranteed to work, contemplating purchase of a high-demand hand grinder after checking resale value might be an option.

marcr92

#2562: Post by marcr92 »

Has anyone thought about custom painting or vinyl wrapping the NZ? I would like to change my color as I've decided white doesn't match my kitchen anymore. In the simplest of worlds, I'd sell my white and purchase a black one, but we all know how long it will take for the next batch to be produced. Any tips? Thanks! (Or if anyone wants to swap a black for a white, PM me)

MightyBandit

#2563: Post by MightyBandit replying to marcr92 »

You could sell me the white one! Still looking for one haha

On a more serious note - you can try the vinyl wrap and remove if it doesn't work. I don't have a Niche so not sure what parts the vinyl may touch though.

marcr92

#2564: Post by marcr92 replying to MightyBandit »

I spoke with Niche and figured out how to vinyl wrap it. The three castings/panels come off quite easily. Now I just have to find someone to make me a custom stencil of the dial indicators/markings so I can paint it onto the vinyl...

If I acquire a black one, I'll happily sell you my white one.

Don Task

#2565: Post by Don Task »

marcr92 wrote:Has anyone thought about custom painting or vinyl wrapping the NZ? I would like to change my color as I've decided white doesn't match my kitchen anymore. In the simplest of worlds, I'd sell my white and purchase a black one, but we all know how long it will take for the next batch to be produced. Any tips? Thanks! (Or if anyone wants to swap a black for a white, PM me)
Unless you were really super experienced with automotive wrap, and knew the different mil spec differences between the available films, knew which one stretched the best without displaying color shifts over the stretched areas... and knew which color "finishes" to avoid... wrapping the NZ and having it look good would be near impossible. Although you can disassemble it which would make it a little easier, the NZ it has too many compound curves so getting it to lay flat everywhere, without seams, will be near impossible if not impossible. Seams would be unavoidable so you'd want the "seams" to be up the back of the machine but the discharge chute on the front and does not come off. Trying to wrap the chute area and front body of the machine in one piece wrap with no folds, wrinkles or seams... definitely impossible! Wrapping the drip tray of my Bianca about made me crazy due to the compound corners (rounded front cover corners - rounded top edge corners - rounded inside corners)

My recommendation would be to paint it! 1) Disassemble the NZ 2) Make sure all surfaces are free of any coffee oils 3) Wipe all surfaces down with 91% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol 4) Wipe down each piece with a painters tack cloth.5) Spray paint with a good quality spray paint. 6) Allow adequate time for the paint to fully cure and harden before assembly.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

marcr92

#2566: Post by marcr92 »

Don Task wrote:Unless you were really super experienced with automotive wrap, and knew the different mil spec differences between the available films, knew which one stretched the best without displaying color shifts over the stretched areas... and knew which color "finishes" to avoid... wrapping the NZ and having it look good would be near impossible. Although you can disassemble it which would make it a little easier, the NZ it has too many compound curves so getting it to lay flat everywhere, without seams, will be near impossible if not impossible. Seams would be unavoidable so you'd want the "seams" to be up the back of the machine but the discharge chute on the front and does not come off. Trying to wrap the chute area and front body of the machine in one piece wrap with no folds, wrinkles or seams... definitely impossible! Wrapping the drip tray of my Bianca about made me crazy due to the compound corners (rounded front cover corners - rounded top edge corners - rounded inside corners)

My recommendation would be to paint it! 1) Disassemble the NZ 2) Make sure all surfaces are free of any coffee oils 3) Wipe all surfaces down with 91% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol 4) Wipe down each piece with a painters tack cloth.5) Spray paint with a good quality "made for plastic" spray paint. (not a cheap big box store paint that says made for all surfaces including plastic) 6) Allow adequate time for the paint to fully cure and harden before assembly.
Appreciate the color (pun intended). I've spoken with an experienced automotive wrap professional in my local area who I know does great work (they helped with parts of my car) and he is going to custom order me the 3M matte pine green vinyl and do the job for me. I'll disassemble the entire machine and deliver him the three main pieces (he will cut around the logo for me as well) and I'll reassemble it when it's finished. Additionally, I'm working with an expert graphic designer to produce a dial markings stencil which I can then utilize to paint new markings onto the film... hopefully.. eventually, I'll have a super unique piece! I can also go with standard matte black, but a near matte British Racing Green finish might be spectacular. Niche even thinks this would incredible. Keep you posted!

MightyBandit

#2567: Post by MightyBandit »

Color sounds amazing! Good luck on the wrap, sounds like you've got all the ingredients for success.

Don Task

#2568: Post by Don Task »

marcr92 wrote:Appreciate the color (pun intended). I've spoken with an experienced automotive wrap professional in my local area who I know does great work (they helped with parts of my car) and he is going to custom order me the 3M matte pine green vinyl and do the job for me. I'll disassemble the entire machine and deliver him the three main pieces (he will cut around the logo for me as well) and I'll reassemble it when it's finished. Additionally, I'm working with an expert graphic designer to produce a dial markings stencil which I can then utilize to paint new markings onto the film... hopefully.. eventually, I'll have a super unique piece! I can also go with standard matte black, but a near matte British Racing Green finish might be spectacular. Niche even thinks this would incredible. Keep you posted!
Ah ha.. there you go. The key was you being lucky enough to find an experienced automotive wrap professional in your area! Sounds like everything is under control right down to cutting around the Logo. Love the British Racing Green. Please post some photos of it when its done.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

marcr92

#2569: Post by marcr92 replying to Don Task »

Definitely will do! I just need to finalize the stencil for repainting the dial markings. Maybe I'll even change the fonts up a bit... keep you all posted on this project!

Jeff
Team HB

#2570: Post by Jeff »

A new thread on your tricked-out Niche would be great!