Niche Zero grinder - Page 247

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
deprofundis

#2461: Post by deprofundis »

silkypull wrote:when did you receive your NZ? it shouldn't have slowed down and speed up again regardless of the type of beans. unless if the darker roast beans is oily then maybe i can see that happening when it clumps. my BBE does that a lot with oily beans. with fresh roasted beans, it still clumps but not too bad.
but i'd be concerned too.. seeing mine is in Sept delivery... :(

hopefully NZ's china partner is not cutting corners on quality....
I received it a week ago today. I'm going to contact Niche.

silkypull

#2462: Post by silkypull replying to deprofundis »

yes please keep us posted on that. thanks.
LMWDP #663

Advertisement
Ultrafiche

#2463: Post by Ultrafiche »

For those of you who switch between different beans (or even brew methods), how do you keep track of your settings when you're switching?

My fiancee likes milk drinks, whereas I'm more into straight espresso, so I'd like to be able to switch between two settings while keeping them both reasonably dialed in. Not sure how difficult that would be, though!

deprofundis

#2464: Post by deprofundis »

silkypull wrote:yes please keep us posted on that. thanks.
Niche representative responded to email regarding grinder stuttering and he said, " The niche can struggle a bit with darker roasts as they can be a bit tougher". Has anyone else noticed this?

He suggested continuing to monitor performance and report back. He said the motor and the grinder were under warranty and they would sort any issues. So far, I am satisfied with their response.

Silentsim

#2465: Post by Silentsim »

Anyone have tried both the Niche and Specialita? Debating between the two.

evillalon

#2466: Post by evillalon »

Ultrafiche wrote:For those of you who switch between different beans (or even brew methods), how do you keep track of your settings when you're switching?

My fiancee likes milk drinks, whereas I'm more into straight espresso, so I'd like to be able to switch between two settings while keeping them both reasonably dialed in. Not sure how difficult that would be, though!
Lately, I've just written the settings on the respective bag of coffee. It has been interesting to see the evolution of grinds as the beans age and the burrs season (I got mine in last month). I supposed you could always keep a notepad nearby. I routinely switch between two coffees which one has a grind setting of 16.5 and the other has 21.5. I have had zero issues switching back and forth. I also don't have any special rituals/process that I do between bean switches. I simply adjust the grinder, then grind. This grinder makes it too easy.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2467: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Silentsim wrote:Anyone have tried both the Niche and Specialita? Debating between the two.
I have but not simultaneously with the same beans and machines so. . . .I can't be much help. Both do a very good job in their price range. Eureka is flat so it might do a good job with lighter roasts. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Advertisement
thirdcrackfourthwave

#2468: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Ultrafiche wrote:For those of you who switch between different beans (or even brew methods), how do you keep track of your settings when you're switching?

Switching is easy. Not sure if you are going for logistics here and not to be a smart ass but I just keep track in my head. I guess if I had multiple settings and was having trouble keeping it straight there is a small white board hanging over my range.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2469: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

deprofundis wrote:Niche representative responded to email regarding grinder stuttering and he said, " The niche can struggle a bit with darker roasts as they can be a bit tougher". Has anyone else noticed this?

He suggested continuing to monitor performance and report back. He said the motor and the grinder were under warranty and they would sort any issues. So far, I am satisfied with their response.
This is interesting b/c I think people have observed some issues with underdeveloped (most likely--guilty in my case) lighter roasts. I've never had an issue with darker roasts BUT I doubt anything past FC+/Vienna has been in my grinder--at least not that I can recall.

Silentsim

#2470: Post by Silentsim »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:Switching is easy. Not sure if you are going for logistics here and not to be a smart ass but I just keep track in my head. I guess if I had multiple settings and was having trouble keeping it straight there is a small white board hanging over my range.
The Niche would be almost $3-400 more