Niche Zero grinder - Page 246

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
limonengelb

#2451: Post by limonengelb »

no clumping issues for me and I have run several different style of beans. I do notice that if I try and run very coarse for drip or pour over, RDT becomes necessary due to static, but I don't see this issue on the espresso grind.

Freddofl

#2452: Post by Freddofl »

silkypull wrote:i have a quick question... anyone who recently received their NZ in the past 3 months have any issues with clumping?
Not really clumping but I did notice grounds are a bit denser compared to my previous hand grinder (Pharos) for some dark roasts. Nothing that causes an issue though, and haven't had any channeling yet with our without WDT.

MPantani

#2453: Post by MPantani »

Ultrafiche wrote:Do you just hold the portafilter+funnel by hand underneath the spout when you're grinding?
Yes, I just hold it under the spout and it grinds pretty quickly. A holder would be handy.

jpreiser

#2454: Post by jpreiser »

MPantani wrote:A holder would be handy.
The new versions of the Decent Espresso portafilter stand come with a whole drilled for use with the Niche Zero. The only issue being their funnel works well on the bottomless-only version but not the version for spouted portafilters. They are working on a short version of their funnel that would work but it will be a while before it's ready. Of course, other companies make short funnels and one of those may work.

Ultrafiche

#2455: Post by Ultrafiche » replying to jpreiser »

Thanks! I've been eyeing picking this up for a while now. The only thing putting me off (and I know it's quite silly) is that I don't think the black portafilter looks very nice with my white NZ. :)

I'm debating whether to pick up the portafilter holder+the funnel, or to keep on using the dosing cup -> dump grounds into the portafilter+funnel and WDT directly in the portafilter.

Those of you who use the portafilter holder, do you find that it's improved your workflow, or is it just a convenience thing?

Futaba

#2456: Post by Futaba »

My NZ arrived today and I installed the Decent PF holder right away. Previously with my Rocky I grind into a Acaia dosing cup, put the PF over the cup and then flip them over while there are mated. It is not the most natural thing to do. In five months I messed up maybe twice and spill grind everywhere. I have not done that lately though.

Now i dose directly into PF from NZ, also using the decent funnel. One nice thing with the decent funnel is that it rides on the outside of the PF rim, not inside like the NZ dosing cup or the Acaia dosing cup. So the grind goes to the edge of the basket, where when using dosing cup, sometimes it leaves a gap between the grind and the side of the basket. It might cause donut start (espresso comes out of the basket starting on the outside basket holes first).

I have only pulled a few shots so far so I don't have any conclusion yet. But the workflow seems to be better with the holder and funnel and grinding directly into PF basket.

lgxiii

#2457: Post by lgxiii »

Hi All!

I finally get my US black on Friday. I love it! It's a major upgrade from my modified single dosing SJ. I like the sound of the beans hitting the SS cup! The noise level is amazing. My hand pepper grinder is noisier :D
After a dozen of shots, the grinding routine shall be:

Weight in the cup,
Grind in the cup.
Put the portafilter upside down over the cup.
Reverse the portafilter and cup.
Side tap to distribute and level the ground in the basket.
Remove the cup.
vertical tap on counter top.
Spin the level tool.
2 sprays of water on top of puck.
Lock the portafilter and pull the shot.

No WDT, no RDT, no tamping. I am a happy guy!
Deny

deprofundis

#2458: Post by deprofundis »

I've had the Niche for about a week. Near-zero retention has been consistent and I've noticed better-tasting shots in the coffees I've been grinding with the grinder on the Breville Barista Express. But I've noticed that with darker, older beans the Niche will sometimes briefly stall during the grind. It doesn't stop but I can hear and see it slow, then speed up. 18g of newer-roasted beans grind in 18-20 seconds; older beans have taken 34-50 seconds. Has anyone experienced this? I'm concerned I may have a defective motor.

grind727

#2459: Post by grind727 »

I'm thinking of hopping on the Niche bandwagon, but has anyone had to repair their grinder? How does that work? Can you work on them yourself? Or, are they full or proprietary parts? Do you need to send it back to Niche?

I like the idea of something that I can easily obtain parts for and fix it myself if need be. (My working assumption is that you can do that with established brands like Mazzer or my Fiorenzato, although I've not had to do it.)

silkypull

#2460: Post by silkypull »

deprofundis wrote:I've had the Niche for about a week. Near-zero retention has been consistent and I've noticed better-tasting shots in the coffees I've been grinding with the grinder on the Breville Barista Express. But I've noticed that with darker, older beans the Niche will sometimes briefly stall during the grind. It doesn't stop but I can hear and see it slow, then speed up. 18g of newer-roasted beans grind in 18-20 seconds; older beans have taken 34-50 seconds. Has anyone experienced this? I'm concerned I may have a defective motor.
when did you receive your NZ? it shouldn't have slowed down and speed up again regardless of the type of beans. unless if the darker roast beans is oily then maybe i can see that happening when it clumps. my BBE does that a lot with oily beans. with fresh roasted beans, it still clumps but not too bad.
but i'd be concerned too.. seeing mine is in Sept delivery... :(

hopefully NZ's china partner is not cutting corners on quality....
LMWDP #663