Niche Zero grinder - Page 242

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
silkypull

#2411: Post by silkypull »

Freddofl wrote:Received the grinder today! So far I love the workflow, no more hand grinding like a mule thank you very much. Grind uniformity seems great.

Grinds did come out very dense and clumpy though. I don't know if it's the grinder or the coffee, both are new to me. The coffee is fairly dark. The Pharos gave always super fluffy grinds but you did have to work for it. I will try a lighter roast next to compare.

Overall, very pleased so far and it was worth the 2+ month wait!
dense and clumpy? i'm a bit concerned... i thought the whole point of NZ was to provide a uniform grind and fluffy? did you try the same beans with your hand grinder to compare?

if it's clumpy.. i'll just use the grinder from my BBE cuz that'll give me clumpy day and night. :D
LMWDP #663

Freddofl

#2412: Post by Freddofl »

To be fair, the grounds don't look like what you see in YouTube videos so I'm guessing it's the coffee rather than the grinder. I might try grinding one shot in the Pharos to compare, that's a good suggestion.

Moozac

#2413: Post by Moozac »

Give the grinder a kilo or two to settle in. Do you RDT?

Freddofl

#2414: Post by Freddofl replying to Moozac »

I don't RDT. I didn't notice any static and retention is very low after the first use, less than 0.1g.

So far based on feedback from the naked portafilter, there has been no issue of uneven extraction.

violin_geek123

#2415: Post by violin_geek123 »

A beautiful delivery today!!! Thank you to the wonderful DHL driver who brought it in the midst of a horrendous thunderstorm....I hope he stays safe out there.

I should probably say a few words - I pulled two Robot shots to dial it in: with the NFC disk installed, setting 15 choked the machine so I moved it to 18 and the shot pulled a little too slow but definitely drinkable. 20 should be the sweet spot tomorrow.

This thing is beautifully made, heavier than the pictures led me to believe. The dosing cup also has a great heft to it. I can't overstate how damn quiet this thing is - it sounds less like a grinder and more like a deep, gentle rumble. Very satisfying to use. Grind consistency right out of the box was very good - absolutely beautiful clump-free grounds in the dosing cup. I'll try dosing directly into the Robot portafilter tomorrow.

Brian Hong

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2416: Post by mkane »

Using a light roast Brian? I'm closer to 15 on the dial using a Robot.

violin_geek123

#2417: Post by violin_geek123 replying to mkane »

A medium roast espresso blend (not oily). I'm sure that I will be adjusting finer over time as the burrs season.
Brian Hong

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2418: Post by mkane »

Enjoy.

sems

#2419: Post by sems »

Does new Niche Zeros come with the nfc disk installed?

mtbizzle

#2420: Post by mtbizzle replying to sems »

With the package I believe
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle