Niche Zero grinder - Page 238

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GregoryJ

#2371: Post by GregoryJ »

There's no need to purposely waste coffee through it. You can enjoy it straight from the beginning, and then appreciate a slightly reduced number of fines as it breaks in.

Spitz.me

#2372: Post by Spitz.me »

Yep, I ignore break in periods for grinders and just use them from the get-go. I don't remember experiencing some Eureka moment a few months later when I reached whatever amount of seasoning people say is "required" to make the grinder sing.
LMWDP #670

belegnole

#2373: Post by belegnole »

Freddofl wrote:On the topic of seasoning burrs, what would be a good cheap option to buy a few pounds and run them through?
Though some people like to buy some cheap store bought coffee, say 5 pounds and run it through. I'm in the camp that just uses the machine and get's to know it. My Niche was like most others where after the burrs were seasoned it settled down and the setting for the coffee being used was a few notches lower. During the break in period it never behaved so randomly that I threw away a shot.
LMWDP #641

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2374: Post by jwCrema »

Spitz.me wrote:Yep, I ignore break in periods for grinders and just use them from the get-go. I don't remember experiencing some Eureka moment a few months later when I reached whatever amount of seasoning people say is "required" to make the grinder sing.
+1

I completely agree. I would like see some science to back up "seasoning". The lifespan of the burr in the NZ is 600 kg of beans. What could possibly happen to the grinder in 5 kgs of waste beans? My NZ has been flawless since it came out of the box.

silkypull

#2375: Post by silkypull »

good to know about all these feedbacks. so how does the process go... mine is suppose to delivery in Sept.. so will i end up getting an email before it is shipped or would it just mysteriously show up at my door?
LMWDP #663

OpenSource

#2376: Post by OpenSource »

jwCrema wrote:+1

I completely agree. I would like see some science to back up "seasoning". The lifespan of the burr in the NZ is 600 kg of beans. What could possibly happen to the grinder in 5 kgs of waste beans? My NZ has been flawless since it came out of the box.
+1 I had the same conversation in my local forum, I am also wondering what change can happen even throughout the 1st year of grinder use regarding the robustness of the burrs. After 5 years of use, I dunno, maybe there will be some microscopic changes I guess.

Perhaps someone can enlighten us on the subject?

Nick Name

#2377: Post by Nick Name »

Freddofl wrote:On the topic of seasoning burrs, what would be a good cheap option to buy a few pounds and run them through?
The absolutely most inexpensive option would be to drink the coffee you grind. That's what I did.

The coffee you want to drink you can decide yourself. :wink:

Nick Name

#2378: Post by Nick Name »

OpenSource wrote:+1 I had the same conversation in my local forum, I am also wondering what change can happen even throughout the 1st year of grinder use regarding the robustness of the burrs. After 5 years of use, I dunno, maybe there will be some microscopic changes I guess.

Perhaps someone can enlighten us on the subject?
I don't have any scientific data on the subject - and I never will have, but having used several hand grinders for a long time, I can easily feel the difference after a few months. When it comes to tasting, let's just say that some people taste things that some people will never taste.

Grinder burrs are really sharp when they come from the factory. For what its worth, so was my Japanese chef knife. I have to sharpen my chef knife on a weekly basis. But I don't use it with coffee beans though. :wink:

Eklektik

#2379: Post by Eklektik »

Seasoning is a bit like "breaking in" headphones. Is there actual science behind it or are you just getting accustomed to the produced taste/sound?
If these grinders need 5kg of season that have a lifespan of 600-750kg then we would have to season the titan burrs with 5000kg lifespan with like 30kg.

Nick Name

#2380: Post by Nick Name replying to Eklektik »

Sometimes all you need is just to trust your senses. Speakers, headphones and musical instruments (like guitars or violins f.ex.) actually do "open up" when they're used for a certain time.

I do also have one hand grinder with titan coated burrs. Is it counted as valid evidence that the grinding time and revolutions needed have changed significantly after a few months use?

Earlier I mentioned my Japanese chef knife. It is probably tougher material than any coffee burr yet made. Still, to keep it absolutely sharp, I need to sharpen it on a weekly basis. The knife doesn't care about science, it is either dull or sharp.

But when it comes to senses - some people taste things, some people don't - some people hear the difference, some people don't. Senses do need a lot of training.