Niche Zero grinder - Page 236

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
silkypull

#2351: Post by silkypull »

no i think u pay first and then they ship 3 months later
LMWDP #663

Nick Name

#2352: Post by Nick Name »

silkypull wrote:i'm on the fence for a NZ to pair with my first spring lever. no doubt the NZ has picked up a lot of momentum in sales and next delivery is in Sept. with shipping and US currency exchange, it's not at $680 range. for that price range would you recommend going with some other grinder or would NZ be the one all end all?
For that price range you will not find any grinder that can compete with Niche (hardly with double/triple the price). Unless you go the hand grinder route. Pharos is one very good economically solid performer, but you'd have to be the motor.

Advertisement
prof_stack

#2353: Post by prof_stack »

Nick Name wrote:For that price range you will not find any grinder that can compete with Niche (hardly with double/triple the price). Unless you go the hand grinder route. Pharos is one very good economically solid performer, but you'd have to be the motor.
I have a Pharos that has been retired since the Niche Zero arrived. The Pharos indeed is terrific, with 68mm burrs. I tired of daily ritual of clamping it to the counter and after grinding shaking/tapping it to get all the grinds out before putting it away until the next time.
LMWDP #010

silkypull

#2354: Post by silkypull »

With the NZ, every time when you make an adjustment, do you have to grind through a couple time before the burrs needs the exact setting you dialed it into?

For my built in grinder on BE870, I noticed it usually goes through two or three grinds before it start to reflect the adjustment I made.
LMWDP #663

violin_geek123

#2355: Post by violin_geek123 replying to silkypull »

No. That's sort of the wonderful thing about this grinder. It barely retains coffee (think ~0.2g) so your grind adjustment will be reflected immediately. Much less wasteful!
Brian Hong

liquidmetal

#2356: Post by liquidmetal »

silkypull wrote:With the NZ, every time when you make an adjustment, do you have to grind through a couple time before the burrs needs the exact setting you dialed it into?

For my built in grinder on BE870, I noticed it usually goes through two or three grinds before it start to reflect the adjustment I made.
You are describing retention - Niche is extremely low retention.

Try this scenario I've found:
new bag
grind
pull a shot (say, off the charts, 18g/70g out, want to get to 18g/36g)
adjust it
grind
pull (magically nailed it, I get 18g/36g)
pull another and find I've dipped a little lower (18g/25g)
pull again and its consistent (18g/25g)

But, if you do this:
new bag
pull a shot (say, off the charts, 18g/70g out, want to get to 18g/36g)
adjust it
grind 5-6 beans, throw this out
grind
pull (magically nailed it, I get 18g/36g)
here on is stable

But its very low retention, it doesn't take many beans to "flush" to be stable.

silkypull

#2357: Post by silkypull »

Thanks guys... y'all just pushed me over the edge and bought the NZ white for Sept delivery. That'll give me close to 3 month to save up and decide which spring lever to pull the trigger on. :D
LMWDP #663

Advertisement
Freddofl

#2358: Post by Freddofl replying to silkypull »

Check out the Cafelat Robot. I'm seriously considering selling me Gaggia classic to get the robot.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2359: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to Freddofl »

Significant upgrade in the quality of espresso when moving up to the Robot.

violin_geek123

#2360: Post by violin_geek123 »

Can't wait to get my Niche in July! Echoing the people above - I have a Cafelat Robot and love it. Currently paired with my Helor 101 but can't wait to get the NZ and give my arms a break!
Brian Hong