Niche Zero grinder - Page 234

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sweaner

#2331: Post by sweaner »

luvmy40 wrote:That light is most likely and LED and will probably burn for 50,000+ hours
If mine burns out I would not care in the least. In fact, I have suggested that the light be eliminated if a V2 is ever made.
Scott
LMWDP #248

EddyQ

#2332: Post by EddyQ »

spearfish25 wrote:I'm surprised a 0.5g resolution scale works well for you. I've found that adding or subtracting 0.5g dosing has considerable change in my shot times. I have an amazon cheapo scale and it's good to 0.1g. Maybe time to upgrade? It'll really help your consistency.
I agree. But I actually did pick up an cheap Amazon 0.1gm res scale and went back to my trusty 0.5gm scale. I think I am getting much less than 0.5gm repeatability with it. The 0.1gm scale was slow and not likely more consistent.
LMWDP #671

cerone

#2333: Post by cerone »

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread before asking this. Is there anywhere I can purchase the dosing/ grounds cup that comes with the niche?

HotLava

#2334: Post by HotLava »

I'm not sure where to purchase the Niche dosing cup. However Acaia makes a 58mm dosing cup in 3 different sizes. The Medium would fit well. They are heavy and very well made. I purchased one prior to owning the Niche to improve my WDT and distribution. They actually fit better in the PF than the Niche cup.
Joe

DaveC

#2335: Post by DaveC »

luvmy40 wrote:That light is most likely and LED and will probably burn for 50,000+ hours
That light is a small neon bulb replacement in 15 or 20 years if it's on 24 hrs per day would probably cost a few cents (if you wanted to bother).

They are ubiquitous in the UK and are used on all sorts of continuous duty applications.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-756731- ... B06VX59FY7

Freddofl

#2336: Post by Freddofl »

Amazing how much the Indiegogo price fluctuates for non UK buyers based on currency exchange. When I placed an order 3 weeks ago it was I believe $602 with the total around $665. Now it's $630 so I'm guessing the total will be around $700 for US. Makes sense for the seller to fix the price based on their own currency.

OpenSource

#2337: Post by OpenSource »

DaveC wrote:That light is a small neon bulb replacement in 15 or 20 years if it's on 24 hrs per day would probably cost a few cents (if you wanted to bother).

They are ubiquitous in the UK and are used on all sorts of continuous duty applications.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-756731- ... B06VX59FY7
I am using an extra switch, actually it's a plug-switch so I have mine completely off.

The same with the espresso machine which is also connected via a smart-plug!

Nick Name

#2338: Post by Nick Name »

sweaner wrote:I have not seen a difference in retention with or without RDT. The difference in static is significant, though.

Ok, I was under the assumption that if you want absolutely minimum retention (0.0g that is) you should not do RDT. DaveC may correct me if I've got it wrong.

FWIW, I've never done it with my Niche but then again, no static issues here by the seaside.

Nick Name

#2339: Post by Nick Name »

sweaner wrote:If mine burns out I would not care in the least. In fact, I have suggested that the light be eliminated if a V2 is ever made.
I truly agree with you with this.

DaveC

#2340: Post by DaveC »

OpenSource wrote:I am using an extra switch, actually it's a plug-switch so I have mine completely off.

The same with the espresso machine which is also connected via a smart-plug!
With the espresso machine, if it's a dual boiler, always switch the service boiler off rather than have it come on in the morning with the smart plug. Just use the smart plug for the brew boiler and group.

Not an Issue with your Unica but important for others with dual boilers.