Niche Zero grinder - Page 230

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
prof_stack

#2291: Post by prof_stack »

MPantani wrote:Tighten your screws!

I wanted to give a public service announcement to remind everyone to check the three hex screws on the underside of the upper burr carrier of a Niche Zero. My grinder started grinding slightly rough. I took it apart and cleaned it to discover that one of the hex screws had backed out a tiny bit. The sweeper arms were hitting that screwhead. Simple fix, no damage.

I should have expected this. My Niche is three months old and all screws have a normal settling-in process. I should have checked them the last time I cleaned it, and you should check yours.
Thanks!
LMWDP #010

adamweld

#2292: Post by adamweld »

Anyone have any tips on getting all of the coffee out of the dosing cup? I've been having a good amount cling to the sides and rim.

Nick Name

#2293: Post by Nick Name replying to adamweld »

I've heard that some people use antistatic wipers, but for me it seems that just putting it into the dishwasher once in a while does the trick. After the coffee seems to start clinging again, it's time for another round in the dishwasher. Depending on your climate of course.

luvmy40

#2294: Post by luvmy40 »

I have found that a couple shakes up and down with my palm over the top of the canister dispels most of the static. Then if any is still clinging, a tap on the counter breaks it loose. I wipe the canister out with a dry paper towel a couple times a day, depending on how many drinks are made.

sweaner

#2295: Post by sweaner »

adamweld wrote:Anyone have any tips on getting all of the coffee out of the dosing cup? I've been having a good amount cling to the sides and rim.
A quick RDT spritz of water will do the trick, and will not hurt the grinder from my experience.
Scott
LMWDP #248

MB

#2296: Post by MB »

I just hold the cup and swirl. The movement of the grinds against the sides seems to do the trick.
LMWDP #472

Nick Name

#2297: Post by Nick Name »

I believe that there are two reasons why grinds cling in the grind cup.

First is static. For me that is hardly a problem since our climate is very grinder-friendly.

The other reason is coffee grease residue. Dishwasher or any other way to wash away the grease should work well for that.

MPantani

#2298: Post by MPantani »

adamweld wrote:Anyone have any tips on getting all of the coffee out of the dosing cup? I've been having a good amount cling to the sides and rim.
I gave up and started to use a dosing funnel. I got one by Motta. They make them either 40mm or 60mm tall, and I use the 40mm.

I grind into the funnel/portafilter, then give a quick stir with a chopstick, then tap on the counter to settle the grinds.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#2299: Post by mgwolf »

Anyone have any tips on getting all of the coffee out of the dosing cup? I've been having a good amount cling to the sides and rim.
I do a quick WDT with my own version of the Londinium WDT tool which dissipates the static. I can then dump it cleanly into the portafilter.

spearfish25

#2300: Post by spearfish25 »

Have to say I'm very impressed with the Niche. Two days in and the control, almost zero retention and workflow are pretty great. It's a quality product and the ability to dial into previous grind settings for different coffees consistently is impressive. Looking like my Mahlkonig K30 Vario may be in the for sale section soon.