Niche Zero grinder - Page 210

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thefisch6

#2091: Post by thefisch6 »

For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems since installing the NFC disk. I love the reduction in popcorning/debris escaping around the lid and only had to go finer by about 2-3 marks. No differences in workflow needed to maintain the excellent extractions I have come to expect and no washer has been necessary as of yet for me. Overall, a definite improvement for the 10 bucks it cost me.

thusband

#2092: Post by thusband »

baristainzmking wrote:I installed the disk and used it with my larger doses for pourover and not sure I like it. It works good for espresso shots, but with 30 to 34 grams for large pour overs it seems to labor and take too long. Has anyone noticed that?
So will 34 grams go in the hopper without spilling over? I haven't tried it but my beans for espresso at 18 grams seems to be close to the edge.

prof_stack
Supporter ♡

#2093: Post by prof_stack »

After 3 days and 6 uses of the NZ with the NFC disk, I think it doesn't do as much good as I thought it would. Today's (larger) Colombia Supremo beans had a harder time getting in through the opening on the 32g load. I could put another thin washer in there, but don't see the point.

The espresso loads of 15g work as normal with very little popcorning.
LMWDP #010

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2094: Post by jwCrema »

jwCrema wrote: NZ says it will arrive on April 6th. We'll see what happens.
Just to close the loop the NZ arrived today, 5 days faster than predicted after ordering it on March 26th. USPS did the final delivery.

The tracking # from the UK shipper, DPD, did show US activity but nothing more than a date/time and this standard statement, "The parcel is in transit on its journey to local delivery destination. Track your parcel here for regular updates." You couldn't use the DPD tracking number with USPS can get more information.

The shipping process was pretty remarkable all in all. The journey begins!

baristainzmking
Supporter ❤

#2095: Post by baristainzmking »

prof_stack wrote:After 3 days and 6 uses of the NZ with the NFC disk, I think it doesn't do as much good as I thought it would. Today's (larger) Colombia Supremo beans had a harder time getting in through the opening on the 32g load. I could put another thin washer in there, but don't see the point.

The espresso loads of 15g work as normal with very little popcorning.
That's why I removed the NFC disk. If I only used grinder for espresso shots with smaller doses, it would be great, as it is not so much.
Julia

maximatica

#2096: Post by maximatica »

There's definitely an improvement in the uniformity of the grinds and they seem a bit fluffier.

If higher quality coffee is the goal I think the slight extra hassle with some blends is worth it for the improvement.

Derekb

#2097: Post by Derekb »

I just ordered my NFC disk. I am excited to give it a try. I have been using my NZ for about two years now and really like it.
I just gave it a thorough cleaning, even removed the lid to wash by hand in the sink.
It makes sense to me about the no popcorning. I have had to cycle the on/off switch several times every time I grind.
I'll try to post results when it arrives. I have not visited here much lately, but will try to stop by!

splashalot

#2098: Post by splashalot »

GregoryJ wrote:Besides turning the dial finer, has anyone needed to modify their routine? My normal workflow of needle > leveler > tamp has created horrendous donut extractions with the NFC installed.
I thought of this post this morning. I too have been getting donut extractions of late. Then remembered I'd been neglecting the 30sec pre-infussion from the Profitec 700. Voila - a return to lovely, full-screen extractions from the bottomless PF. Could be worth a try in your case?

thusband

#2099: Post by thusband » replying to splashalot »

30sec pre-infussion? Does that mean 30 seconds with no pressure? On my Lelit Bianca I've been doing 7 seconds and then the pump shuts down for 5 seconds and starts again at 12 seconds. When the pump shuts off at 7 seconds I'll usually have a few drops through the naked PF. 30 seconds seems a very long time but I haven't tried it.

splashalot

#2100: Post by splashalot » replying to thusband »

My Profitec 700 has two stages for the brew lever: half way is "pre-infusion"; fully raised is full brew pressure. I was referring to 30 seconds with the lever at half way between fully closed and fully open. I don't know what pressure water saturates the puck at. I assume just a dribble, as there is no reading on the brew pump gauge. Not sure how this relates to your Lelit or if this helps you or not.... But it seems to work for me.