Niche Zero grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Javier

#21: Post by Javier »

yakster wrote:DaveC posted a link to his review on page 24 of the coffeeforums site, I haven't had time to read it yet.
It seems he spent two weeks with a prototype. Very nice and thorough review. Actually, I have always liked DaveC's reviews.
LMWDP #115

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by samuellaw178 »

Wow, just had a look at the video & review. Really impressive. No static without RDT? Doubly impressive.

I wish Dave had pulled a double shot on a VST basket as the VST is a bit more demanding, but that's ok. Niche has a winner if the production units are on par with the prototype. Not sure if the 63mm burrs deliver the same in-the-cup quality as 68mm but if it does (and I will admit it), does make me feel almost silly for paying extra for the Monolith (build quality is obviously different but still..). :oops:

Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#23: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) »

I don't know much about 240V (Europe) vs 110V (USA)... what would it take to get this grinder to work in the states?

DaveC

#24: Post by DaveC »

samuellaw178 wrote:Wow, just had a look at the video & review. Really impressive. No static without RDT? Doubly impressive.

I wish Dave had pulled a double shot on a VST basket as the VST is a bit more demanding, but that's ok. Niche has a winner if the production units are on par with the prototype. Not sure if the 63mm burrs deliver the same in-the-cup quality as 68mm but if it does (and I will admit it), does make me feel almost silly for paying extra for the Monolith (build quality is obviously different but still..). :oops:
How do you think I feel having paid over £2000 for a Ceado E92...but that's all what was available if I wanted slow and large conical burrs..I always thought the single was the most demanding for a Naked shot. I don't have VST baskets, but I do have IMS baskets, I can pull a naked shot (and video) on one of those tomorrow if I get some time and if it helps?
Fluffeepuff wrote:I don't know much about 240V (Europe) vs 110V (USA)... what would it take to get this grinder to work in the states?
I asked about that when reviewing and they will simply use the 120V motor and US gearing, I don't think much else needs to change.

Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#25: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:I asked about that when reviewing and they will simply use the 120V motor and US gearing, I don't think much else needs to change.
Dave - will this influence the power vs torque vs rpm you were discussing in your review? Or would the motor change be transparent to the user?

Javier

#26: Post by Javier »

t I do have IMS baskets, I can pull a naked shot (and video) on one of those tomorrow if I get some time and if it helps?
Grounds from the Niche? Yes, please!
LMWDP #115

DaveC

#27: Post by DaveC »

Fluffeepuff wrote:Dave - will this influence the power vs torque vs rpm you were discussing in your review? Or would the motor change be transparent to the user?
I think it will be transparent. Gearing selection influences the torque and rpm, perversely you will probably have a bit more torque than us, although it's inconsequential for grind quality/general operation etc.. I did the math for that last week based on the manufacturers motor specifications, but because it's a review done in the UK forgot to mention it. You can also ask niche, I am pretty sure they will confirm what I have said.

Niche would of course be doing destruction and punishment testing specifically for US machines as well, because of the larger torque, to ensure the drive train and US gearbox can handle it.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by samuellaw178 »

DaveC wrote:I always thought the single was the most demanding for a Naked shot.
Actually not! Single was challenging because people tried to dose 7g into the tapered single baskets and tamper can't compact the coffee properly because of the taper. At 10g+ dose, I find they're no different to a double basket - albeit at lower extraction % according to the refractometer, but they taste lovely & soft. You can try the single basket with your Caedo I'm pretty sure you should find the same.

The VST doubles are quite unforgiving in the sense that the bottom hole area is wider, and so it's harder for the coffee to bead uniformly all at once. Often you get a bit of dead spots (low flow area), or a doughnut beading before the center catches up, or that the flow/mousetail comes off slanted to one side.

But yes, the IMS double would be informational to watch! Thanks for your effort and for doing the review so openly.

DaveC

#29: Post by DaveC »

samuellaw178 wrote:But yes, the IMS double would be informational to watch! Thanks for your effort and for doing the review so openly.
Here it is, not quite perfect, but I need to go a little coarser and probably change the pressure profile I'm using a little. then I think I could get it running even better. I think it's good enough though to show it's capabilities with a medium roast El Salvador coffee I liken it is a little awkward, but worthwhile coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdSyYjILnk

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by samuellaw178 »

DaveC wrote:Here it is, not quite perfect, but I need to go a little coarser and probably change the pressure profile I'm using a little. then I think I could get it running even better. I think it's good enough though to show it's capabilities with a medium roast El Salvador coffee I liken it is a little awkward, but worthwhile coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdSyYjILnk
Dave,

Thank you for the video. Felt for your knees. :( Take care!

The pours were looking pretty good, but seemed like it will also benefit from WDT (we're an OCD bunch aren't we). The video did give a very good feel on how the grinder will perform. Thanks again!