Niche Zero grinder - Page 186

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GregoryJ

#1851: Post by GregoryJ »

It looks like SlowPourSupply has more Niche Zeros in stock (or for pre-order?). In one place it said the pre-order is being launched but the button says "ready to ship". They've raised the price to $730 but what I found interesting is this:

The New Generation Niche Zero is here with rotational metal plate to eliminate the pop corning effect of a wider hopper.

Hopefully that means they will be shipping out the popcorning disc by itself soon.

prof_stack

#1852: Post by prof_stack »

In my brief time with the Niche zero, I noticed some popcorning but it doesn't seem that big a deal.

My order arrived sooner than the initial invoice indicated, so there apparently is an inventory ready to ship out immediately.
LMWDP #010

ash4889

#1853: Post by ash4889 »

I agree with you a 100% No need to do any alterations to it, They're acting like they bought a Baratza grinder. It is a perfect machine that they created, And for an extremely reasonable and affordable price.

DaveC

#1854: Post by DaveC »

Haskens wrote:Does anyone here use a 3D printed niche flow control disk (the anti popcorning device)? Do you find yours coming loose every now and then? Mine comes loose every 5 or 6 uses. I have it right between the bolt and the black plastic collar thing.
Certain polymer combinations slip, others grip. You could get yourself a very thin fibre washer and place it between the two materials.This would probably stop it slipping and coming loose..

DaveC

#1855: Post by DaveC »

ash4889 wrote:I agree with you a 100% No need to do any alterations to it, They're acting like they bought a Baratza grinder. It is a perfect machine that they created, And for an extremely reasonable and affordable price.
It's not really about just popcorning it's also about flow control and narrowing particle size distribution.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1856: Post by baristainzmking replying to DaveC »

Any idea yet, when the NFC disc be available for purchase?
Julia

jnl82

#1857: Post by jnl82 »

I just got Niche Zero and so far loving the result and the taste of the coffee. But I do have a question about a minor issue I noticed when I closely looked at the grinder while it is operating.

As you can see in the video below, when the burr turns, the center hex bolt looks like it is not perfectly aligned. It is not centered so you can see that it wobbles a bit side to side. Otherwise, I think the burr itself looks aligned in the middle. Is this an issue?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sanpAGBho5F7eaFJ6

Thanks.

truemagellen

#1858: Post by truemagellen replying to jnl82 »

I believe that is an optical illusion. Due to the non-uniform nature of the bolt head. Also the washer which can sit off center a bit does not affect functionality (washer does not need to be concentric nor does it have enough mass to cause the burr to wobble).

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#1859: Post by randyr5 »

jnl82 wrote:I just got Niche Zero and so far loving the result and the taste of the coffee. But I do have a question about a minor issue I noticed when I closely looked at the grinder while it is operating.

As you can see in the video below, when the burr turns, the center hex bolt looks like it is not perfectly aligned. It is not centered so you can see that it wobbles a bit side to side. Otherwise, I think the burr itself looks aligned in the middle. Is this an issue?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sanpAGBho5F7eaFJ6

Thanks.
Perfectly normal. The burr is definitely aligned. I think DaveC explains this in his extensive review.

prof_stack

#1860: Post by prof_stack »

Today I measured input and output for retention data.

45.0g went in and 44.5g came out, about 1% retained. Low humidity here in the desert contributes, I'm sure.

No worries from me.
LMWDP #010