Niche Zero grinder - Page 176

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
randyr5
Supporter ♡

#1751: Post by randyr5 »

The anti-popcorn device just makes the grinding more efficient and a bit quicker.

DaveC

#1752: Post by DaveC »

Fisher wrote:Did I understand correctly, that when using a customized device to control the popcorning & flow of the beans into the burrs, the flavour in the cup remains the same? (I do realize distribution & grind setting are affected when using the device, but I am focussed on the flavour of the espresso.)

If that is the case, everyone's obsession with popcorning in the Niche is the proverbial "tempest in the teapot". Or did I miss something?
No you took a single sentence from the middle of a post and put it into an entirely different context. You absolutely didn't understand me correctly. It refers to the splits in the grind halves, with the device in place there was no difference in the splits. The device does make a difference vs not using it.

DaveC

#1753: Post by DaveC »

randyr5 wrote:The anti-popcorn device just makes the grinding more efficient and a bit quicker.
No, it does more than that...best reread my post.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1754: Post by baristainzmking »

Is there any ETA on when the part will be available from Niche?
Julia

DaveC

#1755: Post by DaveC replying to baristainzmking »

Last I heard January 2020. The main issue is how to handle getting it to all existing owners just for the cost of postage and handling. The mechanism to use so that people can just go onto a website and buy it and get it delivered. Otherwise they get into the ridiculous situation of the Eureka part which costs a relative fortune to get compared to it's value..

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1756: Post by baristainzmking »

Can the item be added as a part to the online store at the price of $0.00 or a $0.05 plus shipping and handling charge at checkout???
Julia

Fisher

#1757: Post by Fisher »

DaveC wrote:No you took a single sentence from the middle of a post and put it into an entirely different context. You absolutely didn't understand me correctly. It refers to the splits in the grind halves, with the device in place there was no difference in the splits. The device does make a difference vs not using it.
I would agree with you: I did not understand your presentation, after reading it twice. That was the only reason I responded, for further clarification or understanding. I wanted to know if flavour was affected significantly. And, I quoted the single sentence only as a brief reference, to introduce my question, rather than have it float in isolation, or re-post your entire post. It was not meant to imply I was basing my understanding on that one statement. I shall wait for the part & see if I find any difference; the part was not something I had planned on requesting, as I thought it would be more of a nuisance than a benefit, but I am always open to enlightenment. :idea:

Haskens

#1758: Post by Haskens »

Obviously I'm not DaveC, but what I understood him to say is that there is a difference in grind quality between using the device and not using the device, i.e. using the device produces a more unimodal and consistent grind than not.

The reason he divided it into two splits is to demonstrate that improvement in unimodal nature with the device - the first half and second half of the grind produce similar grinding results with the device, but without the device there is a fair bit of difference between the first and second half, likely due to the mechanism of feeding of the beans and packing into the burrs.

As for taste difference between a coffee that has been dialled in with the device vs dialled in without the device, that's something I would be interested in hearing too.

I should also say that I don't own a Niche, but am following the grinder closely as I am considering getting one....

Fisher

#1759: Post by Fisher replying to Haskens »

"As for taste difference between a coffee that has been dialled in with the device vs dialled in without the device, that's something I would be interested in hearing too."

Yes, the flavour result is really the only part that captures my interest. (As for grinds distribution, I have my own suspicions that a unimodal grind may not be as preferable for the type of espresso I prefer. That's just my taste buds talking, nothing more. (And I guess I had better clarify that I am referring only to the very *slight variations* in grind sizes, not at all referring to the sub-par grinders' results that give another level of "distribution" entirely! :wink: ))The Niche is the most convenient grinder I have ever used, and produces great results. I have no complaints. I have a very good hand grinder that gives results that are quite comparable, although more work is involved. :lol: Each has their merits.

You gave a very good (clear & well written) description there! Gracias! :D

DaveC

#1760: Post by DaveC »

There is a taste difference but that doesn't always mean better for all people, prep methods or coffees.

For those that want to avoid the changing grind size/distribution of single dosing that affects all single dosing grinders, the NFC is the answer, for those that don't, it can be removed/replaced in 20 seconds I personally prefer it but that's just me.