Niche Zero grinder - Page 174

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
achosid

#1731: Post by achosid »

I installed the 3d Printed anti-popcorning piece posted on here. I also took it as an opportunity to clean out the threads of the adjustment ring.

Now all of a sudden I can't grind fine enough for a reasonable time for the life of me. I was in the 9-11 range with Malabar Gold on a calibrated grinder before. Now I'm shifting the calibration point so that zero is dramatically finer than it used to be and shots are still coming out in six seconds. I'm out of coffee but have more arriving today. I'm sort of mystified by all this.

belegnole

#1732: Post by belegnole replying to achosid »

Sounds like you may have changed something other than just adding the apd. You could try recalibrating it. But I would take it all apart again and recheck everything.

One thing to note. The threads for the dial on my machine have a grease in them. Removing that grease may or may not have some affect on the behavior of the machine. Just a thought.
LMWDP #641

Advertisement
RNAV

#1733: Post by RNAV »

achosid wrote:I installed the 3d Printed anti-popcorning piece posted on here. I also took it as an opportunity to clean out the threads of the adjustment ring.

Now all of a sudden I can't grind fine enough for a reasonable time for the life of me. I was in the 9-11 range with Malabar Gold on a calibrated grinder before. Now I'm shifting the calibration point so that zero is dramatically finer than it used to be and shots are still coming out in six seconds. I'm out of coffee but have more arriving today. I'm sort of mystified by all this.
In DaveC's video review of the anti-popcorn device, he mentions the device regulates the flow of beans entering the burrs. Hence, you have improved uniformity of the grind size, and he goes on to mention you'll need to grind 4-5 notches finer after installing the device. Sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsxUzpH0VIw

Jk505

#1734: Post by Jk505 »

Is there a trick to reduce the static build up on the cup? Mine is so bad when I'm pouring out the grounds they are being sucked up in the air towards the cup.

truemagellen

#1735: Post by truemagellen replying to Jk505 »

Rdt basically spritz beans with a tiny bit of water mist before putting into grinder

MB

#1736: Post by MB »

I notice that when I swirl the grounds in the cup just by the movement of the cup in my hand, that they fall out more cleanly. So, maybe trying that before transferring will help.
LMWDP #472

DaveC

#1737: Post by DaveC »

RNAV wrote:In DaveC's video review of the anti-popcorn device, he mentions the device regulates the flow of beans entering the burrs. Hence, you have improved uniformity of the grind size, and he goes on to mention you'll need to grind 4-5 notches finer after installing the device. Sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsxUzpH0VIw
Yes that's correct and of course the coffee doesn't come out any finer, it's just that when flow is regulated the packing effect within the burrs that creates finer grind but wider distribution is reduced. This means the overall fineness remains the same (as without the disk) when you adjust finer but with reduced distribution around the grind level.

You can test this for yourself.

I didn't put the results in the mini write up on the review site because it was a bit geeky and I don't know how much value the normal reader would have got. You can also try this first test with any grinder you are single dosing, not a Niche to see what sort of variance you get, which of course relates to the grind distribution.

Method (with the Niche NFC disk in place, or one made to almost exact dimensions)

17g coffee added to Niche. I split the grind output between 2 containers and ground for 8.5 seconds in the first before swapping (this might vary a tad depending on mains voltage and speed of the Niche), then swapped the grind cup for a small plastic tray for the remaining time, the grinder was constantly running and not stopped for the test. I repeated this so I had 2 splits, the first and second half of each grind.

This gave equal doses of approximately 17g (within 0.3 of a gram). I repeated this process 4 times to have 4 tests. Rather than post an average which can be misleading. I will post 1 set of results, the rest were very similar, to within a second or within 1g of extracted espresso weight. It's tricky to get the extracted espresso weight right on the button, as my scales have a slight delay.

33.4 coffee out, shot timer 26.8s..........1st half (17g coffee)
32.6g coffee out shot timer 27.4s..........2nd half (17g coffee)

17g coffee. 2 grinds 50/50 split.

Machine used Minima, constant pressure set to 9 bar....no profiling used, extraction temperature 93C

The taste of the coffee was the same (to me) in each case. People are welcome to try this and confirm what I found. I'm not going to bother with 3rds because it's super tricky and 50/50 splits do show if there is a significant difference and would have seen much more variance. So the device is working as it should. In fact it would be tricky on other grinders, simply because of retained grinds, fortunately that's not really a problem with the Niche.

Then as a control

With exactly the same grind setting as the test above and no NFC disk, results were typically:

54s shot time 32g output (17.10g coffee 1st splits added together)
33s shot time 32g output (16.84g coffee 2nd splits added together)

Quite a clear difference...obviously the 2nd splits were 33s because there was still some gradation in the grind at the 8g point to an unknown level below 8g? Certainly after 8g, the variance is much less, which would be in line with the reasoning why this happens.

Anyone with a Niche can do these tests and when they get the NFC disk try the tests with those. I've used enough coffee doing them and I'm happy about what's happening and that it helps a great deal...for sure timings might differ a bit with different coffees, but the effects should be the same. You need approximately 350g of the same coffee to do a test run of 4 tests with and 4 test runs without the disk (and allow for any mistakes, plus normal 18g shots with no splits).

When I do reviewing and testing I actually do quite a lot more testing that I ever bother publishing

Advertisement
testing1x2x3

#1738: Post by testing1x2x3 »

It may already have been previously mentioned, but when will the NFC disk be available to purchase? Does anyone have a knockoff version they are willing to sell and ship?

truemagellen

#1739: Post by truemagellen replying to testing1x2x3 »

If you read back there is a Nuevo simonelli/Eureka one that fits

thefisch6

#1740: Post by thefisch6 »

testing1x2x3 wrote:It may already have been previously mentioned, but when will the NFC disk be available to purchase? Does anyone have a knockoff version they are willing to sell and ship?
As far as the official one from Niche, there's no timeline yet, but will be available to all existing owners for the price of postage (per DaveC).