Niche Zero grinder - Page 173

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
PeteB

#1721: Post by PeteB »

LObin wrote:I may be wrong but I feel like setting the true 0 mark by hand-tightening the burrs VS the point where the burrs slightly touch on a running grinder, may differ...

If you check the WLL video I posted before, they hand-tightened the burrs then backed off 1/2 a turn before finding the true 0 (which ends up being about 1/8th away from the hand-tightened O). That would put your "burrs touching" true 0 around the 8 mark. If someone (or you one very early morning...) by accident set your NZ to 2 or 3, this could very well be the end of your burrs...

I could be wrong but better be safe than sorry.

If someone could confirm that conical burrs can be calibrated the same way we calibrate flat burrs, I would advise you to do so.
I watched a local cafe demonstrate calibrating their EK 43 and with the machine running, tightened the grind until the burrs were touching to find true 0. That is backed up by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4Uds0_cis

If all conical burrs are the same in the respect that the parts of the burrs that first touch are not the parts that do the grinding, it appears to me there is no harm in having them touch while running.
PeteB

new2espresso

#1722: Post by new2espresso »

coryline wrote:Did you ever get an answer to this? Have a Breville infuser with 54mm portafilter and a niche in the mail!
I never did. I did use the yogurt cup hack for a few doses but gave up because of the static. Now I weight the coffee in a little glass cup, RDT and grind into the Niche metal cup. It fits really well on the breville 58mm portafilter. Maybe look at Acaia's 54mm cup or other metal cups to grind into?
Kind regards,
Karan

kmonroe99

#1723: Post by kmonroe99 replying to new2espresso »

I just got my NZ and checked the cup against my Breville 54mm portafilter - no fit. I'll try a grind and then add it using a funnel I have for the 54.

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#1724: Post by randyr5 replying to kmonroe99 »

I wonder if Niche will ever provide different size cups for various portafilters.

Laddu

#1725: Post by Laddu »

PeteB wrote:I watched a local cafe demonstrate calibrating their EK 43 and with the machine running, tightened the grind until the burrs were touching to find true 0. That is backed up by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4Uds0_cis

If all conical burrs are the same in the respect that the parts of the burrs that first touch are not the parts that do the grinding, it appears to me there is no harm in having them touch while running.
Are you going to give it a try? Let us know.

DaveC

#1726: Post by DaveC replying to Laddu »

I personally wouldn't do it....there is really no need to do it that way??

votelobster

#1727: Post by votelobster »

PeteB wrote: If all conical burrs are the same in the respect that the parts of the burrs that first touch are not the parts that do the grinding, it appears to me there is no harm in having them touch while running.
Where'd you hear this? I'm not saying it's wrong - but since the parts of the burrs that first touch are what determine grind size by the distance between the conical & ring burr, if these parts are damaged/worn, it would affect grind, or at least where you dial in if the burrs are uniformly worn. I get that a more significant portion of the grinding happens in the cuts above where the burrs meet.

Wigglesworth2.0

#1728: Post by Wigglesworth2.0 »

Can anyone tell me the cord length for the Niche Zero?

RogerP

#1729: Post by RogerP replying to Wigglesworth2.0 »

The power cord on mine is 33 inches fully extended. It's designed so you can stuff the extra cord into the base.

kmonroe99

#1730: Post by kmonroe99 »

Lid for NZ cup. Looking for a snap lid to fit on the NZ grounds cup. Any suggestions? Thanks