Niche Zero grinder - Page 172

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
testing1x2x3

#1711: Post by testing1x2x3 »

Thanks for the feedback! It's good to hear that there are others with a similar situation. I'll definitely try this today, and see how it goes.

LObin

#1712: Post by LObin »

RNAV wrote:When I initially received my Niche, I calibrated per DaveC's video and haven't touched the calibration ring since. Recently I've been brewing a lightly roasted Ethiopian and have been taking the calibration mark past 0 into what would be negative numbers.

I really liked LObin's suggestion of calibrating to true zero as that would give me usable reference marks with this Ethiopian, and I only ever brew espresso. So, I completely cleaned my grinder.

Like you, I didn't feel comfortable touching the burrs while running the grinder . . . I know you can do that with flat burrs, but didn't know if you could do it with conicals. So, with the machine off, I firmly hand-tightened the burrs until they touched, then moved the calibration ring's indicator to the 0 mark.

For me, the difference was 27 clicks on the calibration ring. On my grinder, 1 click on the calibration ring equals 1.5 indicator marks. So, 27 clicks x 1.5 marks = 40.5 change in grind indication. I was at -2, so I set the grind setting to 38.5 and pulled a shot -- spot on, yielding the exact same preinfusion time, shot time, and yield (note: I ground 2 doses worth and tossed prior to pulling a shot to account for any retention post-cleaning).

I've been keeping records of grind settings for previously brewed espressos, so now all I need to do is add 40.5 to whatever those setting were in order to achieve the same grind. I think I'll keep it like this for a while and see how it goes.
I may be wrong but I feel like setting the true 0 mark by hand-tightening the burrs VS the point where the burrs slightly touch on a running grinder, may differ...

If you check the WLL video I posted before, they hand-tightened the burrs then backed off 1/2 a turn before finding the true 0 (which ends up being about 1/8th away from the hand-tightened O). That would put your "burrs touching" true 0 around the 8 mark. If someone (or you one very early morning...) by accident set your NZ to 2 or 3, this could very well be the end of your burrs...

I could be wrong but better be safe than sorry.

If someone could confirm that conical burrs can be calibrated the same way we calibrate flat burrs, I would advise you to do so.
LMWDP #592

jerrymouse

#1713: Post by jerrymouse »

Qporzk wrote:I went ahead and made a Fusion 360 model for this. I'm still working on the tolerances for my printer, but this should be pretty close:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nAnvq ... 6csCbh-jpZ
Printed with PETG. Works like a charm. Thanks!

testing1x2x3

#1714: Post by testing1x2x3 »

I just finished cleaning and recalibrating according to the process you mentioned, and pulled a few shots. However instead of setting zero at zero I set it at -1. My grind settings are now in the 35 to 38 range, and I'm feeling much better about it. I only grind for espresso, so I'm not worried about my settings being in the 30's for espresso. Thanks again.

votelobster

#1715: Post by votelobster »

LObin wrote: Still... I can't understand how some people grind in the mid 10s to low 20s range. Yes, these are just printed numbers and they could very well be hieroglyphics, it would have just the same values... But, when we calibrate the grinder, the burrs touch when we put the dial on the calibrate mark. For all of us. So when you grind at 3 vs someone else's 22, that's over 1/8th of a turn closer to the true 0 (burrs touching).
I suspect it might have something to do with coffee being left over between the burrs. The silver ring won't turn any finer than 4 or 5 marks unless I run the motor periodically. It's no big deal when dialing in when you're only moving a couple marks at a time, but for calibration it matters. Resistance from residual coffee could put where you think your burr contact point is (the calibration mark) significantly coarser than it is in reality. If I'm not thinking about this backwards, this would lead to you grinding in the lower settings.

The "run the grinder until you hear burr touch" method would solve this, but I'm also hesitant to try it. It's not life-changing since the numbers might as well be hieroglyphics, but communicating grind settings gets weird if we're not calibrated in the same place.

Moka 1 Cup

#1716: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I have been using the NZ since April.
I don't remember for how long but at the beginning my setting was at or around 20.
Later I had to progressively reduce it, and I'm now working between 8 and 11 depending on the coffe or the basket I use.
I don't know what I may have done to cause the change. Every time I clean it I check the calibration but I have never had to adjust it other than one time, I think, when it was slight off, by less than the distance between two dots.
Regardless I'm super happy with the quality of the grind.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Laddu

#1717: Post by Laddu »

Maybe the burrs breaking in?

Moka 1 Cup

#1718: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Maybe.
With the NZ I grind an average of one 12Oz bag per week.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

testing1x2x3

#1719: Post by testing1x2x3 »

I just recently picked up a knock off blind tumbler off Amazon for about $13. It's the perfect height for the NZ to grind directly into. So far I seem to be having great results grinding directly into it and then transferring into the PF. Static goes away completely once the blind tumbler comes into contact with the PF. Has anyone else tried this, and if so, what kind of results have you experience?

coryline

#1720: Post by coryline »

new2espresso wrote:Sorry to be off topic, but has anyone used the dosing funnels on breville portafilters? I'm wondering how they fit before ordering one.
Thanks!
Did you ever get an answer to this? Have a Breville infuser with 54mm portafilter and a niche in the mail!