Niche Zero grinder - Page 166

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
grover

#1651: Post by grover »

randyr5 wrote:Don't use the settings on the Niche dial. I you are at a setting of say 15 for espresso, you may have to turn the dial 360 degrees for pour over, in other words, way past the Niche's "COARSE" setting, which is probably too fine for pour over. Do some experimentation until you get the right grind. As long as you don't disturb the marker dial, you can easily dial back to your espresso setting.

I 100% agree here. I mainly drink espresso and when I tried to do a Chemex it was so bland but I also noticed it was a slow drip despite being in the high 40s. I went way past this and my pour overs have tasted much better. I feel the Niche is spot on with espresso, dramatically reducing the amount of times i need to experiment with an espresso, I know it will usually be 12-18 and depending on the roast I usually can guess closer than that. I was all over the board with my old Sette and used so many beans.

Pour over has been good now that I have a better idea of how far I need to turn the dial.

truemagellen

#1652: Post by truemagellen »

Misiak wrote: I've read about this technique but I'm pretty scared about corrosion. There are steel burrs and water is not a good friend, is it ? :)
The single pump mist you will add to the beans (I recommend putting them in a small cup or even the niche cup, spraying, then shaking for a second to distribute the moisture) will only transfer to the burrs for seconds as it will be a small amount and will evaporate quickly. Particularly in a dry environment that would cause heavy static in the first place.

And even if it took 20 mins to dry the burrs are now coated with protective coating of coffee oils. I work with steel in manufacturing all day long and in a 50% humidity environment just the oils from your fingertips will prevent rusting on similar steels to the burrs. You can see it in plates where the fingerprints are outlines by rust and that is in the summertime with 60% humidity.

LObin

#1653: Post by LObin »

DaveC wrote:Chopstick in Niche cup, it's long and can basically brush the walls, a quick stir with it against the wall...eliminates static and stops the coffee clinging to the sides. I've been doing it almost always from day 1.
Yep. I WDT inside the NZ cup for dark roasts and for medium to light roasts I only WDT in the basket. Works for me.
LMWDP #592

DJL

#1654: Post by DJL »

Any retailers selling the NZ in Canada?

LObin

#1655: Post by LObin replying to DJL »

Not that I know of. I believe It's only available through the Indiegogo website for us, Northerners.

Back in April when I got mine, they didn't have shipping options to CAN yet so I had mine shipped to a friend in Utah where my wife then picked it up on a business trip and brought it back in her carry on.
LMWDP #592

IMAWriter

#1656: Post by IMAWriter »

Misiak wrote:That exactly :) I just wonder if there is a difference between fresh dark roast vs 6 months and older.
SIX months or older???
haha. Would be the new description for bitter and ganky.

Misiak

#1657: Post by Misiak »

Yes I know, it was just an example because I assume that after this time the beans would be evem much more dry and the static would be insane :)

Saw someone to polish the innerside of the NZ cup and it help to reduce static. But I'm not sure to what degree.
Lelit Bianca PL162T - Niche Zero

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#1658: Post by mgwolf »

I always use a little wire stirrer (WDT) and have no problem with static (it's quite dry where I live). Medium to dark roasts.

Felice

#1659: Post by Felice »

I like the handle end of a baratza brush, it's metal and has that little loop for stirring. Honestly, I don't love the v60 or drip I get with mine. It's passable but not amazing.

luvmy40

#1660: Post by luvmy40 »

Sailorman wrote:
...Question
I can now put my old Faema Family grinder out to pasture - is there a recommended way to locate someone who may be interested in using it (likely for spares as I understand some parts are no longer available) or is it best just thrown away?

PM Sent