Niche Zero grinder - Page 160

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MB

#1591: Post by MB »

I haven't done that, so can't answer from experience, but from reading, it seems others have successfully and without having to redial the espresso in (ie, return to the same number and you are good to go, apparently).
LMWDP #472

truemagellen

#1592: Post by truemagellen »

leonelbego wrote:Excellent, thank you very much :) very kind!

And do you think is ok for the machine to move it every day from espresso to very coarse for Chemex? I know is a pain for dialing all the time but my question is more if this way the machine can suffer or damage?
Yes it works for this. Just make sure no beans are in it when you are dialing back and forth. Don't need it on though just make sure it is fully purged.

Moka 1 Cup

#1593: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

That is a super nice and clean solutions MB. Fantastic.

To answer Eric's question/comment, I personally use a silicone cup not just to contain the pop-corning itself but because by doing that I actually keep upper part of the grinder (including the outer ring) clean.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

randyh

#1594: Post by randyh »

I really like MB's solution. Looks like it should just come like that out of the box. Maybe the folks at Niche will see this and come up with their own version we can buy directly from them. I'm going to use my Niche for a while without mods and see how it goes, but if the popcorning is a problem I'll try the Eureka Atom auger. From my searching, it looks like Bella Barista is the only vendor that sells the auger part separately. And they are out of stock. Has anyone found it elsewhere?

MB

#1595: Post by MB »

I didn't come up with it. There was another thread that showed it. Also, to be clear, I don't think it fixes a problem. My pulls haven't stood out as any different. The bits that went over the edge before the mod were very minimal. Plus it creates the new inconvenience of having to remove the bolt to access the burrs for a quick brush out now and again. I'm not advocating it in the current iteration, it's more of a data point before a more refined possible addition.
LMWDP #472

STG

#1596: Post by STG »

There have been several inquiries in this thread regarding how the Niche Zero performs vs Vario / Forte with brew burrs for manual methods: pour over, etc. I can't comment on the Forte but I can on the Vario. This is my feedback:

I was going to ditch my tired Vario, but what I did instead was send it to Baratza and have them overhaul it and put the steel brew burrs in, including the metal Forte burr chamber. It turns out this was an excellent decision.

After the first few first few attempts with the v60 using the Vario with brew burrs, my conclusion is that this combination produces a cup that is much closer to "excellent pour over" than anything I ever achieved with the Niche Zero. I just have not been able to produce a nuanced cup with it. It was never terrible, but it was far from excellent. Maybe I just never found the sweet spot. YMMV.

The Vario is now on pour-over duty and the Niche Zero as my rock solid (so far) espresso grinder.

Laddu

#1597: Post by Laddu »

How many of you, using the pringles lid, have forgotten it's in place and dropped all the beans on the counter top? :) I gave done that two times already.

PaddyBerlin

#1598: Post by PaddyBerlin »

I currently use a Eureka Mignon MCI for espresso and a Baratza Virtuoso for V60, Aeropress, Chemex and French press.

I am now considering selling both of them and buying a Niche Zero.

From what I have read here, the Niche Zero is likely to be something of an upgrade from the Mignon for espresso, and I much prefer the idea of single dosing, especially with the apparently low grind retention. However, I have seen mixed reviews elsewhere about its suitability for V60, Chemex, Aeropress and French press.

I have seen many posts suggesting that conical burrs are less well-suited to pour over methods than flat burrs (although the Virtuoso also has conical burrs and copes quite well) and that the Niche Zero has trouble with coarser grinds.

Does anyone have experience with both the Baratza Virtuoso (or the Encore) and the Niche Zero? How does the Niche Zero compare for coarser grinds?

pGolay

#1599: Post by pGolay »

I use my Niche for aeropress - I set it at 40 - as well as espresso (~15) and it's grand . I have not really delved into French press, though I have a couple of those around someplace.
-PG

romaen

#1600: Post by romaen »

Hey,

is there a alternative to the "decent espresso portafilter stand & funnel" to grind directly in the portafilter? (and easy available)

Thanks in advance