Niche Zero grinder - Page 155

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IMAWriter

#1541: Post by IMAWriter »

DaveC wrote:Yes. I have a Japanese version I am testing for them (100V) and I was initially going to put the burrs from the long term US grinder that has done more than 50Kg in, rather than use a brand new Kony burr set....thought Niche could at least reuse the burrs in a new grinder.

Fortunately I resisted the temptation. The results from the burrs that were brand new vs the ones that were run it were noticeably different. After about 5kg there was quite a big improvement and it continues to improve, although not as rapidly as during the 1st 5 Kg.
Hi Dave. Yes, I remember you mentioning this. I'm just not sure if it was included in your absolutely terrific (as always) top to bottom, inside and out product reviews?
NOTE:
Niche owners and prospective owners should read Dave's Niche review. Though personally not an owner, I quite enjoyed the writing, the humor, and thoroughness. Not a boring second. Good stuff.

DaveC

#1542: Post by DaveC replying to IMAWriter »

Thanks for that...No the Niche 100V grinder is for their launch in the Japanese market, so I only got it about 4 or 5 weeks ago., the power output is being fine tuned for that markets voltage, as it's probably not known that the Motors used are specially made for Niche and custom wound for the markets/Voltages they are sold in. This custom winding allows fine tuning. I am at the moment over-volting it by12% long term, purposely of course. I have already done 10% under-volting tests on it.

I'm doing the work for free, in fact I have even supplied the coffee used for the hardly roasted, even more Nordic than Thor, beans grinding tests for free as well!....I must be mad ;)

IMAWriter

#1543: Post by IMAWriter »

DaveC wrote:
I'm doing the work for free, in fact I have even supplied the coffee used for the hardly roasted, even more Nordic than Thor, beans grinding tests for free as well!....I must be mad ;)
You said it, not I. :lol:

STG

#1544: Post by STG »

What setting do you guys use for pour-over? I had it backed all the way around one revolution to the "finest" espresso setting and I felt that was still too fine.

Any input? Still tempted to put the steel burrs in my old Vario and do a comparison.

iploya

#1545: Post by iploya replying to STG »

That seems a little odd -- have you calibrated the dot?

My espresso is around the 9-12 range. I'm around 30 for V60.

Mrboots2u

#1546: Post by Mrboots2u »

STG wrote:What setting do you guys use for pour-over? I had it backed all the way around one revolution to the "finest" espresso setting and I felt that was still too fine.

Any input? Still tempted to put the steel burrs in my old Vario and do a comparison.
I am past the calibration mark for v60.
Don't worry too much about where you are.
I have never been near 30 for v60 for instance.
Will depend on pour regime as well.

PeteB

#1547: Post by PeteB »

How quiet is the Niche Zero grinder? Thought it would be interesting to find out and do a comparison against another grinder.
PeteB

PeteB

#1548: Post by PeteB »

And here are the two grinders without beans.
PeteB

STG

#1549: Post by STG »

iploya wrote:That seems a little odd -- have you calibrated the dot?

My espresso is around the 9-12 range. I'm around 30 for V60.
Are you using the v60 tabbed or untabbed filters? My espresso is in the same range.

belegnole

#1550: Post by belegnole »

Interesting, my grinder on day two is set at 21.5 with 18 in, 36 out at 25 sec. using Caffe Lusso GMC. I have to admit that no matter what the end result is better than what I was getting from my SJ.
LMWDP #641