Niche Zero grinder - Page 152

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zix

#1511: Post by zix »

Hmm, I did come off as a little standoffish, if not a tad sulky, right? I am of course very thankful having the opportunity to try out the NZ, and more than a little bitbeager to see how it will be received by the rest of the family. If it works as well as it seems, the setup with grindcup fits perfectly into the relaxed workflow I strive for at home, with small lever machines and a separate (Dualit flash boiler) milk steamer. I can walk around turning hot water kettle or machine on, refilling the steamer if that's needed, fiddling here and there, letting the grinder grind and water heaters do their warmup thing and then going hands-on and stopping the conversation only when it is time to pull the shot.

With the Pharos (or any hand grinder) there are at least two fully hands-on moments where full attention is needed for about 30 seconds, and I find it sorta gets me more out of the loop whenever we have guests coming over.
LMWDP #047

truemagellen

#1512: Post by truemagellen »

Zix, yes this is probably the one for you with that set up.

alleyooptroop

#1513: Post by alleyooptroop »

i'm expecting my NZ end of next week. i was wondering if you guys did anything special to set it up ie. calibrate. i emailed james from NZ and he said it's ready to go out of the box.

Laddu

#1514: Post by Laddu »

Does anyone have new details about SSP burrs for niche?

Jake_G
Team HB

#1515: Post by Jake_G »

I've heard rumors that Hansung is working on offering a coated set of Mazzer Kony burrs, which would fit the NZ, but they would be identical to the burrs already in the grinder from the factory, just coated. Unless something has changed very recently, SSP cannot grind conical burrsets.

He already offers coated burrs for the Robur, so I would anticipate the Kony burrs being available eventually.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

bas

#1516: Post by bas »

What's the point of coated SSP burrs for the Niche?
The Mazzer Kony burrs are great as they are...

IMAWriter

#1517: Post by IMAWriter replying to bas »

I would appreciate the answer to bas' question as well.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1518: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

alleyooptroop wrote:i'm expecting my NZ end of next week. i was wondering if you guys did anything special to set it up ie. calibrate. i emailed james from NZ and he said it's ready to go out of the box.
I did nothing. It worked great. I seem to be grinding at smaller numbers than others so I play with the notion of calibrating.

truemagellen

#1519: Post by truemagellen »

bas wrote:What's the point of coated SSP burrs for the Niche?
The Mazzer Kony burrs are great as they are...
Exactly. These Coatings were designed for cutting metal at high speed in a mill or lathe. Designed to have a harder surface but side effect is the coating covers the sharp edge and softens it on a microscopic level so it is technically less sharp. This is good short term as the burrs need less or no seasoning but steel burrs will soften that sharp edge and perform the same. Will they last as long? No but on home use you will likely never wear the burrs out.

I honestly believe they are highly overated and most are not designed for contact with food.

Fisher

#1520: Post by Fisher »

zix wrote:Goodie! I will be waiting eagerly. Have an HG-one at work, so the NZ has some competition :) It will be interesting to compare them once the NZ has had a few kilos of beans through it. Grinder shootout in Gbg, anyone? ... shucks, wrong forum...
I'd love to hear how you find the Niche and HG-1 compare. Hope you will let us know your findings. :D