Niche Zero grinder - Page 151

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
grover

#1501: Post by grover »

5280grindz wrote:Yep. Only thing I did different is I added a washer under the head of the bolt.

One thing to note, the Decent bottomless portafilter stand works best with a straight, non-angled portafilter. I have an ECM angled portafilter and the stand tilts it forward a bit. Still usable though.
Do you have a photo with the stand and portafilter placed? I would love to see it. Thank you.

MB

#1502: Post by MB »

Took the plunge. Our remodeled office has a kitchen open to the office, so the sound reduction and ease of changing the grind setting back and forth reliably is what pushed me over the edge.
LMWDP #472

eman5oh

#1503: Post by eman5oh »

To those that have ordered a Niche recently, how long did it take to receive it? Did they send a shipping notice prior to its arrival? Impatiently waiting...

Thanks

domi

#1504: Post by domi »

eman5oh wrote:To those that have ordered a Niche recently, how long did it take to receive it? Did they send a shipping notice prior to its arrival?
FWIW, I placed my order on Aug-14, received a notification my order had been dispatched on Aug-15 and an another one it could be collected locally (I'm in Finland) on Aug-21. So exactly one week.

eman5oh

#1505: Post by eman5oh replying to domi »

Thank You.

MB

#1506: Post by MB »

The grinders appear to be released in batches, so the wait is dependent on your timing relative to the batch.
LMWDP #472

jchung
Supporter ♡

#1507: Post by jchung »

It seems with all the new NZ owners, there is also more interest in dosing directly into the PF. Quite a bit before the John @Decent realized he could use the DE PF Stand, I had designed and printed a PF stand and funnel for use with the Breville 920XL. Since then, I've sold my 920XL, bought a DE1Pro, and updated my design to fit the DE1 PF.

For those that aren't familiar with it, here is the full PF stand + funnel

The key to the entire set is the alignment tab that goes under the head of the M5 bolt used to hold the wood plate into the NZ.

On top of the alignment tab goes the PF stand

The bottom of the PF stand has a neodymium magnet and a channel to slide over the alignment tab.

In addition to the PF stand, I also designed a simple replacement disc for the NZ cup that also slides over the same alignment tab

I almost never use the NZ cup. Only when I'm grinding for a pourover. Being able to switch between the PF stand and the replacement disc has made it very easy to switch grinding for different brew methods, which is something that can't easily be done with the DE PF stand.

The funnel goes up to just beneath the chute to help minimize the mess. But as you can see, some still gets out but the majority of it ends up at the bottom of the PF stand.

zix

#1508: Post by zix »

Just ordered one. Have realised the last 6 months or so that the family will probably never grind coffee by hand - not if I want all of them to do it, anyhow. I think it a wee bit sad that my plan for dominating the local coffee scene with home roasted coffee and preaching salvation from supermarket coffee for the masses should fail because people are too lazy or too unsure of themselves to crank.

My hopes are mainly that
1) it will be a little less messy than our current hand grinder for the espresso machines, the OE Pharos 2 (I know, I know, it is probably me rather than the grinder. Still though...)
2) family members and guests will actually get into the habit of making coffee, now that they don't have to hand grind.
3) it will grind on par with the Pharos or at least close to it. I really like the extractions and the taste we get since upgrading to Pharos 2. I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of the taste for convenience, but everybody seem to say the Zero grinds sooo good, so my expectations are higher now...
LMWDP #047

bas

#1509: Post by bas »

I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of the taste
Don't worry, taste is at least on par with Pharos!

zix

#1510: Post by zix »

Goodie! I will be waiting eagerly. Have an HG-one at work, so the NZ has some competition :) It will be interesting to compare them once the NZ has had a few kilos of beans through it. Grinder shootout in Gbg, anyone? ... shucks, wrong forum...
LMWDP #047