Niche Zero grinder - Page 149

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
PeteB

#1481: Post by PeteB »

I suspect it doesn't really matter what the number on the scale reads. The more important thing is the consistency of what the grinder is doing. Judging by the vast majority of posts, consistency is something this grinder is very good at.
PeteB

Lilybell2

#1482: Post by Lilybell2 replying to PeteB »

Exactly!

EddyQ

#1483: Post by EddyQ »

iploya wrote:I'm down to almost 10 on the unitless dot scale. 18g in, 30g out well under 30s. I am careful to keep calibrated so no sure why so low.

(I know the scale is arbitrary and unit-less. But I wonder why it would vary that much from one unit to another.)
Is your coffee 4 days post roast? With really fresh coffee, my Niche range is 16-19 for espressos. But if the beans age to over 2 weeks I have been down to a setting of 10. That said, I did have a monster Nicaraguan bean (might have been a pacamara) that needed an unusually tight grind of 12 just after roasting.

BTW, I have not been careful to keep my Niche calibrated. I set it last October and haven't modified it since.
LMWDP #671

youss1988

#1484: Post by youss1988 »

Lilybell2 wrote:I don't do singles, just doubles. 20g in 40g out. Setting is usually between 18 and 19. It's 19 right now for 4-day post-roast beans. That said, my 19 is in all likelihood not going to be the same as your 19.
thanks and you drink that a'' one'' espresso?

Lilybell2

#1485: Post by Lilybell2 replying to youss1988 »

Yup, that's what I do.

5280grindz

#1486: Post by 5280grindz »

I did recalibrate after a week just for fun. Here's where I'm at so far.

Red Bird Blue Jag 18/30/30 set at 14.5.
Dragonfly Crema Dolce 21/38/30 at 15.
Chromatic Gamut 18.5/30/28 at 15.5.

I'd say first 2 are med lightish roasts. I'm at altitude so I find most beans taste flat until 7-10 days post roast. Though that could also be the niche burrs breaking in.

Using VST baskets and IMS shower screen.

DaveC

#1487: Post by DaveC »

iploya wrote:OK, so what's the worst that can happen if I leave this plugged in? A few milliwatts of energy consumption by the red light? I left this plugged in for over a week and so far nothing.
About the same as happens with one of these shaver sockets with a permanently lit neon, or power strips with the same indicator....nothing.

martianpc

#1488: Post by martianpc »

How many of you are tapping or smacking the lid after grinding to get the last bits out. I am always surprised at how much seems to fall with the burrs still spinning after a few pats on the top.

jasonmolinari

#1489: Post by jasonmolinari replying to martianpc »

I tap the spout with the wood chopstick i then use to stir up the grounds in the stainless catch cup

truemagellen

#1490: Post by truemagellen »

martianpc wrote:How many of you are tapping or smacking the lid after grinding to get the last bits out. I am always surprised at how much seems to fall with the burrs still spinning after a few pats on the top.
I'm using the silicone pinch bowl as a bellows and you would be shocked how much comes out. Thanks to another hber for this tip