Niche Zero grinder - Page 145

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
greggers89

Postby greggers89 » Aug 14, 2019, 11:09 am

1 month is actually not very long to wait compared to how long it took when it was in "crowdfunding" mode. I am quite impressed how they have been ramping up production without any big claims of declining quality, that can't be an easy thing to do!

youss1988

Postby youss1988 » Aug 14, 2019, 4:06 pm

What do you guys think of the white color niche?
I think black is more pretty.. but i can buy the white for a nice price from a friend...

Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » replying to youss1988 » Aug 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

They're actually the same grinder just different colour. :wink:

FWIW, I prefer the white one over the black. It looks better in my kitchen.

Lilybell2

Postby Lilybell2 » Aug 14, 2019, 4:25 pm

youss1988 wrote:What do you guys think of the white color niche?
I think black is more pretty.. but i can buy the white for a nice price from a friend...

Any Niche is a good color. :D

That said, I chose to get a black Niche because it matches the trim on my Rocket Giotto, and most of my other coffee stuff as well.

iploya

Postby iploya » Aug 14, 2019, 6:46 pm

Black or white was a tough decision. None of the above if I had the option for brushed aluminum.

I thought white was just slightly prettier and paired slightly better with the current wood species and color. But in the end I chose black thinking it was more of a coffee equipment color, would integrate better with other kitchen stuff and stand apart from the typical white appliance. I also figured white might be harder to keep clean, or who knows, maybe discolor over time.
--AB

5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Aug 14, 2019, 7:37 pm

Late July order arriving Tuesday the 20th.

Didn't see this posted but John @ Decent has a solution for those who want to dose directly in the portafilter. I've got the parts on the way.

iploya

Postby iploya » Aug 14, 2019, 9:49 pm

5280grindz wrote:Late July order arriving Tuesday the 20th.

Didn't see this posted but John @ Decent has a solution for those who want to dose directly in the portafilter. I've got the parts on the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nf0TersEQs

Looks like a very useful and practical mod.
--AB

5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Aug 16, 2019, 6:14 pm

Received black Niche today. Shipping was just 3 days. Test drive tomorrow.

The LWW blind shaker with the lid off is probably 1/8"-1/4" shorter than than the cup that comes with the grinder.

iploya

Postby iploya » Aug 16, 2019, 6:41 pm

Received mine today too! 3 business days ahead of schedule.

Totally different espresso results than my E6P SSP flat burr grinder. I did not realize it would be that big of a difference. Tried 4 shots of Teodoro's Italian Roast, at grinder settings 18, 17, then 16 (the dot scale). I need further experimentation to dial in but here are my initial impressions (and many things I did not expect).
- Looks better on my counter, more proportional to the BDB than my hopper grinder. It makes more sense for a home unit. I would be happy to make this my primary unit, if I end up liking the in-cup flavor at least as well.
- Workflow easier than expected. I don't feel like I need a PF holder.
- Quiet as advertised - not whisper quiet, but a nice, gentle, deep but low humming.
- Massive crema (almost too much), very light and fluffy, deep reddish brown; 18g in and ranging from upper 20s to lower 30s out in just under 30s. Similar parameters to where my E6P was dialed in on same beans but totally different appearance and flavor.
- ... unfortunately increasingly bitter down to 16, so maybe that's the excess crema, or I may need to dial back my pre-infusion settings when using this grinder (currently 10s at 67%).
- Flow from bottomless PF is prettier! Looks more like I have seen in the videos.
- Easy clean up, I somehow missed the part in the reviews that the wood base just lifts off so you can dump it and return it.
--AB

5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Aug 16, 2019, 9:38 pm

SSPs working on a set of burrs. Said they'll post on Instagram page when it's ready.