Niche Zero grinder - Page 144

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
truemagellen

#1431: Post by truemagellen »

Qporzk wrote:Bengee,

Do you have any photos of your tool? I'm trying to figure out something a little nicer than shoving paperclips in a cork right now :lol:
Only my wife can see that. :shock:
★ Helpful

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#1432: Post by blondica73 »

bengee wrote:I have been using my Niche for about 2 months now. Awesome single dose grinder, no doubts! At first, I WDTed the ground coffee in the niche cup and then poured into my portafilter (PF) using an OE SS funnel. Reading the comments, I transitioned to the Niche method, from cup straight to PF, shake, then tamp (no WDT) and got nearly better results so stuck with that as it was a smoother operation. However, I was still noticing some channeling. So lately, I transitioned back to using the funnel, but this time WDTing the coffee grounds in the PF with a DIY Londinium-style (3 prongs) tool. The results speak for themselves. Wowzer. channeling is now very minimal. Highly recommended. In fact, I'd say WDT is essential, even with the Niche.
I too received my Niche about two months ago. I purchased a funnel and grind straight into the portafilter, then I WDT it using the Londinium tool. Results are very consistent and no channeling using my LM Linea Mini. I agree that WDT is essential to get consistent results. I WDT the coffee regardless of the grinder I use, the Eureka Olympus or the Niche Zero. I'm very happy with both grinders.

bengee

#1433: Post by bengee »

Qporzk wrote:Do you have any photos of your tool? I'm trying to figure out something a little nicer than shoving paperclips in a cork right now :lol:
Unfortunately, my tool is nothing to write home about. It starts with a new unused cork and ends with three copper wires with their tips curled. The wire previously was the ground in an electrical cable. I'm quite sure you will find a lot of pictures and ideas if you search for WDT tools on this forum!

leonelbego

#1434: Post by leonelbego »

Does any one that owns a Niche could kindly tell me if this grinder would be ok to change "often" from fine grind to corse and from corse to fine? in my kitchen I do have my good Profitec Pro 300 coffee machine that needs fine grind for the espresso, but from time to time I also use Pour Over coffee for my Chemed. Would the Niche be ok to do this work?

thanks a lot,

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1435: Post by baristainzmking replying to leonelbego »

Absolutely! I switch daily from grinding beans for espresso for the Robot and doing v60 for pour over.
Julia

leonelbego

#1436: Post by leonelbego replying to baristainzmking »

Thank you very much :) and are you happy with the "fine" espresso grind from the Niche? would this little grinder be good enough for high level machines like Profitec or Rocket dual boilers etc?

thank you again,

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1437: Post by baristainzmking »

Niche does a great job in the fine espresso grind range, very consistent and repeatable. If you look at posts above Blondica73 is using it with his LM Linea Mini with no channeling.
Julia

Lilybell2

#1438: Post by Lilybell2 »

leonelbego wrote:Thank you very much :) and are you happy with the "fine" espresso grind from the Niche? would this little grinder be good enough for high level machines like Profitec or Rocket dual boilers etc?

thank you again,
Works very well with my Rocket Giotto.

iploya

#1439: Post by iploya »

Ordered July 28, received shipping info August 13.

And looks like I got the last one! :P :P :P

"We are pleased to say all current outstanding orders (for August shipping) have been shipped.

Currently, we have run out of stock on US models (we will receive more mid/late September) and have limited stock on UK and EU models."

GregoryJ

#1440: Post by GregoryJ »

1 month is actually not very long to wait compared to how long it took when it was in "crowdfunding" mode. I am quite impressed how they have been ramping up production without any big claims of declining quality, that can't be an easy thing to do!