Niche Zero grinder - Page 140

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thirdcrackfourthwave

#1391: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

truemagellen wrote: I've seen this grinder in person and it does sound like the gears are metal but the gear box housing and sealed cast aluminum frame contain the noise very well. Not as quiet as let's say a Compak Silenzio which I had or a Eureka quiet model but very close (someone will surely do a decibel test and prove me wrong lol).
I did one a while ago. The Niche is about 72db from memory. I've used Mignons but not run a test but they seem close. With both you can have a conversation.

mgwolf

#1392: Post by mgwolf »

I have a question, not being an engineer. Why does the Niche need a circuit board/what does it do? It seems like this grinder has a motor, gearbox, and a switch and isn't this all it would need? Why a circuit board? Thanks to all the electrical engineering types in advance.

truemagellen

#1393: Post by truemagellen » replying to mgwolf »

Good question probably overload/overheat protection and perhaps something to prevent it from running too frequently.

L&R

#1394: Post by L&R »

mgwolf wrote:I have a question, not being an engineer. Why does the Niche need a circuit board/what does it do? It seems like this grinder has a motor, gearbox, and a switch and isn't this all it would need? Why a circuit board? Thanks to all the electrical engineering types in advance.
AC to DC plus some filters

jasonmolinari

#1395: Post by jasonmolinari »

Kind of an odd question on my niche, which i love. A few days ago, it suddenly decided to become quieter that it has been since i got it about 4 months ago. I haven't noticed any difference in grinding, but what i consider "noise" (seemed normal before it went quiet) seems to come and go now.
The "noise" seems like something rubbing against something. Almost like a sweeper rubbing.
I took 2 videos.

The first one is the "quiet" version, with the "noise" kind of barely coming and going in it.

The second is a video with the "noise" persistent.

1st:
2nd:
Anyone have any idea what it might be, and which the "normal" sound is?

thanks!

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1396: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

I'm not sure. I don't have the best trained ears. All disclaimers apply. The 'noise' version sounds more like mine, I think. The 'no noise' version sounds, IDK, 'uneven.' Sorry wish I could be more helpful and definitive.

Fisher

#1397: Post by Fisher »

jasonmolinari,
Have you tried a deep-cleaning of the burrs & inside of the grinder? And, secondly, have you been using the "RDT" (water droplet method) for static at all? I'm wondering if a bit of moisture & coffee grinds could be gumming up the innards a bit? But that is only guesswork. I'd send an email to Niche for guidance. Regardless, a good cleaning (removing outer access to burrs, to be thorough) never goes amiss. :D

DaveC

#1398: Post by DaveC »

jasonmolinari wrote:Kind of an odd question on my niche, which i love. A few days ago, it suddenly decided to become quieter that it has been since i got it about 4 months ago. I haven't noticed any difference in grinding, but what i consider "noise" (seemed normal before it went quiet) seems to come and go now.

Anyone have any idea what it might be, and which the "normal" sound is?

thanks!
When did you last clean it e.g. removing the burrs and cleaning everything?

jasonmolinari

#1399: Post by jasonmolinari »

No RDT has ever been used.
Yeah, my next step was to clean it. I just wanted to take the videos before i open it up.

Will do that today and report back

jasonmolinari

#1400: Post by jasonmolinari »

Cleaned the grinder and the "noise" is there even with just the motor shaft on its own. So, it's something internal, not something rubbing on the sweeper or burrs. Well, i'll keep using ..no problem