Niche Zero grinder - Page 137

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fisher

#1361: Post by Fisher » Jul 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

bengee wrote:I live in Canada and have purchased items from a few online Europeans businesses before. Usually, well organized businesses will automatically deduct VAT for international buyers using a unique international website or at checkout once you shipping info is added. In some countries, VAT is like 20%, so the difference is significant.

When I bought my Niche, I noticed VAT was not deducted at checkout even though the offered price was in canadian funds. I chose to bite the bullet and order without a fuss.

I've been pulling my best shots ever since...
Niche Zero needs to be aware of this oversight, if indeed they are not deducting VAT for countries outside the EU. It is a significant amount of money, if that is the case. I find it hard to believe the price of the grinder could be less than £500, however... just doesn't make sense, does it?

mianor

#1362: Post by mianor » Jul 11, 2019, 9:52 pm

I asked them about a month ago if they could deduct the UK VAT for me and they simply replied that this is something they could not do. I can understand them as a small business it can be hard to deal with the paper work, that being said, it is a significant amount of money. The local VAT where I live is 25 percent, which I will need to pay on top of the UK VAT. Combined thats nearly half the price of the grinder.

The VAT thing is actually what's stopping me from buying this grinder at the moment.

romaen

#1363: Post by romaen » Jul 12, 2019, 12:36 am

Hey!

Did someone test the LWW Blind Shaker or Blind Tumbler in combination with the Niche Zero? Does it work well?

jyl
Supporter ♡

#1364: Post by jyl » Jul 12, 2019, 1:09 am

NickKrebs wrote:Again, fantastic grinder. I've had mine for about a month and its just as James Hoffman discussed in his video along with Dave C's review posted previously. Only thing that gets annoying is the extra 3-5 seconds of grind time for pop corning, but for the money this grinder likely gets you to within 90ish% of the performance of a MonCon and that's being conservative. I was skeptical until I started using it and its brilliant in many ways.
I wonder if you could place a rubber or plastic disk on top of the beans to prevent popcorning. Something large and not too flexible so it won't get drawn down into the burrs.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

Kleefisch

#1365: Post by Kleefisch » Jul 12, 2019, 2:55 am

Why not using a folded or scrunched up cloth, thick enough so that it's not sucked into the burr chamber? This should damp quite well and reduce re-bouncing, so that overall grind speed and maybe evenness should improve?

I think covering the beans should be done with a damping surface, not a hard one. I don't have a NZ (yet), just thinking.

Javier

#1366: Post by Javier » Jul 12, 2019, 8:54 am

jyl wrote:I wonder if you could place a rubber or plastic disk on top of the beans to prevent popcorning. Something large and not too flexible so it won't get drawn down into the burrs.
See, e.g., post #1303 for similar ideas. Also, search this thread for "blind filter basket".
LMWDP #115

jchung
Supporter ♡

#1367: Post by jchung » Jul 12, 2019, 9:08 am

jyl wrote:I wonder if you could place a rubber or plastic disk on top of the beans to prevent popcorning. Something large and not too flexible so it won't get drawn down into the burrs.
Lots of NZ owners already do. Some use a pringles can lid. I just 3D printed a single convex disc to put on top.

bengee

#1368: Post by bengee » Jul 12, 2019, 9:11 am

Popcorning: Can someone confirm this is even an issue in the cup for the Niche Zero?

truemagellen

#1369: Post by truemagellen » replying to bengee » Jul 12, 2019, 9:20 am

It is for all grinders particularly conicals when single dosing. Would most espresso hobbyists like us notice in a blind test, absolutely not.

It is honestly more of an annoyance. There are many solutions but the old school one we all did for the last 15 years by using a tube with a plunger does not work for the Niche given the design.

bengee

#1370: Post by bengee » Jul 12, 2019, 9:26 am

truemagellen wrote:It is honestly more of an annoyance. There are many solutions but the old school one we all did for the last 15 years by using a tube with a plunger does not work for the Niche given the design.
If its not an issue I can detect in the cup, then its a non-issue for me. The NZ comes with a nifty lid that ensures no beans will be lost. A plunger,then, is only another gadget to deal with.

By the way, I will be tossing my funnel as I have managed to fully replace it with the niche cup in my workflow (as seen in those review videos). It really works quite well!