Niche Zero grinder - Page 136

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » Jul 11, 2019, 2:48 pm

Fisher wrote:Cost for Niche grinders mfg in Hong Kong (but shipping from UK):
In addition to amount you pay to Niche up front for the grinder and shipping (£499 + shipping cost), you will also pay a healthy amount on arrival to the delivery agent, to cover an agent fee of $12, plus 8% import duty & your relevant provincial sales taxes. (Total will be higher in Central & Eastern Canada, while it will be cheaper in Western Canada where sales tax falls to 5% in Alberta, & Yukon. So, $1130 to $1200 Cdn seems to be a pretty accurate estimate of what Canadians are paying, all told.

And counterwise that may be also one reason why Monoliths aren't hugely popular here in EU. Niche Zero is even more bang for the buck for Europeans (although Brexit may shake things quite a bit).

Fisher

Postby Fisher » replying to Nick Name » Jul 11, 2019, 3:16 pm

Wouldn't the cost of Niche be similar in EU, as Europeans pay the 20% VAT, whereas Canadians pay (anywhere from) 5% to 17% sales tax??

Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » replying to Fisher » Jul 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

Actually I wouldn't know about how it goes when ordering from EU to North America, but what I do know is that when I buy something from US (or Canada etc) I first pay the VAT in North America and then also the VAT in EU. Kinda silly, but it sure makes makes me think twice (or three times) before ordering anything from North America (and after doing the thinking, I usually skip the whole idea and go for something a bit more domestic).

But in the end, I'm more than happy I never got the Monolith. The price it would have cost me could never be justified over the price of a (crowdfunded 350€) Niche - which I consider to be a real bargain.

maximatica

Postby maximatica » Jul 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Each country has a schedule for import duties (normalized customs fees). It specifies the amount of duty on each type of product imported. In the US the schedule lists various products for which there is *NO* import duty.

Products with no duty are often goods that have no domestic equivalent. In other words, your importing them does not interfere with a domestic outfits business (are there any companies making coffee grinders in Canada?).

So, you might look into that.

When goods come into a country the customs office will just assess the standard rate *unless* the paperwork quotes the specific normalized customs code.

This is the USA version, your country will have its own.

https://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/index.htm

Somewhere in kitchen appliances might be the code that will get you the free pass on the customs. Then again it might not, but 5-10 minutes of research might save you some $$$.

As many of us in the US have stated there was no customs fee charged when we received our Niche. So, somewhere in that document, there is probably a code that states that there is no fee on kitchen appliances *that grind* (the doc does get down to very specific descriptions of what is the assessed duty and what is not).

Take the link, type coffee into the search box on the left and scroll through the results to see that flavored coffee is assessed 6.4% whereas most coffee has no fee.

But obviously, don't be confused, you have to look for your countries own doc, not the one above, which is linked to just to show you what you are looking for.

HTH.

-------

Addendum, - if you do find a code that excerpts a grinder from fees, then you would request that that code be shown prominently on the paperwork. No code shown usually means you get assessed as the customs employee is (usually) not going to look things up. This has happened to me when I have imported products that are duty-free, if the shipper left my code off the paperwork I got a fee assessed and to try and get it refunded is a lost cause.

gesk

Postby gesk » Jul 11, 2019, 5:41 pm

Fisher wrote:Where did you see VAT was charged on the Niche? I myself haven't seen it indicated or showing up anywhere... was it buried in the £499 price?

The VAT is baked in the £499. If you set your shipping destination as UK or any other country the price stays the same. I sent them an e-mail to ask and they told me the £499 price included UK VAT.

Fisher wrote:It just dawned on me, (reading "gesk's" post again now), if ordering from an EU country, VAT rules will apply. "gesk" appears to be in Switzerland, so will pay accordingly... if that is his destination country.)

Switzerland is indeed not part of EU, therefore EU VAT should not apply and be deducted. Swiss VAT is 7.7% and is applied on top when the goods are delivered.

maximatica

Postby maximatica » Jul 11, 2019, 7:50 pm

gesk wrote:Switzerland is indeed not part of EU, therefore EU VAT should not apply and be deducted. Swiss VAT is 7.7% and is applied on top when the goods are delivered.

Has anyone received the grinder for a reduced fee due to the VAT not being applicable?

I think those of us in the US paid the full £499 ($625) plus the £55 ($70) shipping.

I'm not griping about the final price, I think the product is a steal. But we Yanks did not get a non-EU refund.

Fisher

Postby Fisher » Jul 11, 2019, 8:44 pm

gesk wrote:The VAT is baked in the £499. If you set your shipping destination as UK or any other country the price stays the same. I sent them an e-mail to ask and they told me the £499 price included UK VAT.

Switzerland is indeed not part of EU, therefore EU VAT should not apply and be deducted. Swiss VAT is 7.7% and is applied on top when the goods are delivered.

My apologies, I was thinking "Sweden" in my mind, but writing "Switzerland"

Fisher

Postby Fisher » Jul 11, 2019, 8:51 pm

maximatica wrote:Has anyone received the grinder for a reduced fee due to the VAT not being applicable?

I think those of us in the US paid the full £499 ($625) plus the £55 ($70) shipping.

I'm not griping about the final price, I think the product is a steal. But we Yanks did not get a non-EU refund.

This article would indicate VAT should not be charged on items leaving UK for non-EU member countries (USA, Canada, etc):

https://opentoexport.com/questions/do-y ... a-from-uk/

Fisher

Postby Fisher » Jul 11, 2019, 9:11 pm

http://www.brighton-accountants.com/blog/vat-uk-usa/
Exported goods to USA are zero-rated, so VAT should not be charged.

bengee

Postby bengee » Jul 11, 2019, 9:13 pm

I live in Canada and have purchased items from a few online Europeans businesses before. Usually, well organized businesses will automatically deduct VAT for international buyers using a unique international website or at checkout once you shipping info is added. In some countries, VAT is like 20%, so the difference is significant.

When I bought my Niche, I noticed VAT was not deducted at checkout even though the offered price was in canadian funds. I chose to bite the bullet and order without a fuss.

I've been pulling my best shots ever since...