Niche Zero grinder - Page 135

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Isaac

#1341: Post by Isaac »

truemagellen wrote:I did read that a while ago but not in great detail. The burr dissamble and sweeper I've seen videos of. What I haven't seen is the base being removed. Thinking of a wall mount for it would be interesting.

EDIT:

Those reclaimed skateboard pieces look slick as heck. Wonder if there's a place in the USA doing something similar.

Fisher

#1342: Post by Fisher »

gesk wrote:It's a pity they don't deduct the UK VAT. If only the money was going to Niche, but instead you end up paying £100 of undue VAT for nothing. It is a bit annoying, especially since you get charged your local tax on it as well. Do you think it's an indiegogo limitation that prevents them to remove it?
Where did you see VAT was charged on the Niche? I myself haven't seen it indicated or showing up anywhere... was it buried in the £499 price?

redbone

#1343: Post by redbone »

How is there a VAT fee since since they started shipping out of Hong Kong?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

yvrdennis

#1344: Post by yvrdennis »

redbone wrote:How is there a VAT fee since it's shipping out of Hong Kong now?
Actually, they're still shipping out of the UK. Mine shipped on Tuesday and the tracking shows it originating in England.

But, having said that, I haven't seen any sign I was charged UK VAT. That would be weird since VAT isn't charged on exports.

redbone

#1345: Post by redbone replying to yvrdennis »

Be interested on your total in hand amount. Can only assume similar pricing to Ontario.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Fisher

#1346: Post by Fisher »

yvrdennis wrote:Actually, they're still shipping out of the UK. Mine shipped on Tuesday and the tracking shows it originating in England.

But, having said that, I haven't seen any sign I was charged UK VAT. That would be weird since VAT isn't charged on exports.

It just dawned on me, (reading "gesk's" post again now), if ordering from an EU country, VAT rules will apply. "gesk" appears to be in Switzerland, so will pay accordingly... if that is his destination country.)

Lilybell2

#1347: Post by Lilybell2 »

Isaac wrote:Those reclaimed skateboard pieces look slick as heck. Wonder if there's a place in the USA doing something similar.
You might contact this guy. He's in Long Beach, California, and it looks like he's done everything from knife handles and cutting boards to baseball bats, all using skateboard wood. He's also a coffee roaster, so....

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftedbyJL?r ... eader-name

EDIT: His Instagram page shows portafilter handles, tampers, etc., and there's one photo with a La Marzocco!

https://www.picluck.net/user/epiclyajus ... _721886385

Fisher

#1348: Post by Fisher »

redbone wrote:Be interested on your total in hand amount. Can only assume similar pricing to Ontario.

Cost for Niche grinders mfg in Hong Kong (but shipping from UK):
In addition to amount you pay to Niche up front for the grinder and shipping (£499 + shipping cost), you will also pay a healthy amount on arrival to the delivery agent, to cover an agent fee of $12, plus 8% import duty & your relevant provincial sales taxes. (Total will be higher in Central & Eastern Canada, while it will be cheaper in Western Canada where sales tax falls to 5% in Alberta, & Yukon. So, $1130 to $1200 Cdn seems to be a pretty accurate estimate of what Canadians are paying, all told.

Had the purchase been made prior to the Hong Kong mfg., Canadians did not pay any import duties, but now that country of origin has changed, duty applies.

redbone

#1349: Post by redbone »

Fisher wrote:Cost for Niche grinders mfg in Hong Kong (but shipping from UK):
In addition to amount you pay to Niche up front for the grinder and shipping (£499 + shipping cost), you will also pay about $205 Cdn. on arrival to the delivery agent, to cover an agent fee of $12, plus 8% import duty & 15% provincial sales taxes. (Total is just shy of $1200 Cdn.) This seems to be a pretty accurate estimate of what most Canadians are paying.

Had the purchase been made prior to the Hong Kong mfg., Canadians did not pay any import duties, but now that country of origin has changed, duty applies.
Good to know, time to start shipping direct out of HK then.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Fisher

#1350: Post by Fisher replying to redbone »

I don't think your costs would change if it is mailed from a Hong Kong vs UK? It might incur a different or even higher duty rate... not sure about that though. (NAFTA applies to goods from UK, but duty-free only applies if manufactured in UK)