Niche Zero grinder - Page 134

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wrz0170

#1331: Post by wrz0170 »

Orcasite wrote:For those of you in the USA who purchased a Niche Grinder: can you give me some idea of what the shipping cost was? Was it shipped from within the US, or from across the pond?
Thanks...
Hey there. I purchased 06/29 and I got an email July 8 that it was shipped from the U.K. , with an arrival approx 07/17. At the time of purchase, shipping was £55 GBP. Today's exchange rate $68 USD. Hope that helps.

Orcasite

#1332: Post by Orcasite »

Thanks very much for the shipping info, guys! I very much appreciate the information. Hope you love your grinder...

maximatica

#1333: Post by maximatica »

gesk wrote:It's a pity they don't deduct the UK VAT. If only the money was going to Niche, but instead you end up paying £100 of undue VAT for nothing. It is a bit annoying, especially since you get charged your local tax on it as well. Do you think it's an indiegogo limitation that prevents them to remove it?
I don't know what the procedure is nowadays but 20+ years back there was a procedure to get back the VAT that you paid for goods while traveling in the UK.

You had to pay the VAT at the merchant but when you were about to leave the country you filled out a form which was essentially the reverse of an importing customs declaration form. You stated that you had paid X amount and you somehow verified that the goods were going home with you (plane ticket etc.).

You could look into that and see what the procedure is at this time.

NickKrebs

#1334: Post by NickKrebs »

Again, fantastic grinder. I've had mine for about a month and its just as James Hoffman discussed in his video along with Dave C's review posted previously. Only thing that gets annoying is the extra 3-5 seconds of grind time for pop corning, but for the money this grinder likely gets you to within 90ish% of the performance of a MonCon and that's being conservative. I was skeptical until I started using it and its brilliant in many ways.

gesk

#1335: Post by gesk »

maximatica wrote:I don't know what the procedure is nowadays but 20+ years back there was a procedure to get back the VAT that you paid for goods while traveling in the UK.

You had to pay the VAT at the merchant but when you were about to leave the country you filled out a form which was essentially the reverse of an importing customs declaration form. You stated that you had paid X amount and you somehow verified that the goods were going home with you (plane ticket etc.).

You could look into that and see what the procedure is at this time.
Yes that's what would happen if I were to physically buy it there but for online sales it is usually automatically deducted. At least that's what amazon and other online shops do. I have done it multiple times and it works fine. Since they ship it abroad it is not very difficult to prove the goods are leaving the country.

Trung

#1336: Post by Trung »

DaveC wrote:No and no it won't be better the 63mm Kony burr is quite large enough.
I want to use this grinder for my coffee shop. For specialty coffee i mean, i thinking 63mm not enough for commercial

DaveC

#1337: Post by DaveC replying to Trung »

It's not a commercial grinder though. If you just want it as an extra grinder for guest coffees, decafs etc.. and you have a main grinder for the house blend, it might be alright for occasional use.

Mrboots2u

#1338: Post by Mrboots2u »

Trung wrote:I want to use this grinder for my coffee shop. For specialty coffee i mean, i thinking 63mm not enough for commercial
For low volume decaf or guest espresso perhaps ,even then the 63mm burrs will be more than adequate for that.
If you want an 83mm conical grinder, you'll have to pay alot more than the Niche is retailing at.

Mrboots2u

#1339: Post by Mrboots2u replying to Mrboots2u »

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1340: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Orcasite wrote:For those of you in the USA who purchased a Niche Grinder: can you give me some idea of what the shipping cost was? Was it shipped from within the US, or from across the pond?
Thanks...
I don't remember the breakdown. I do remember the shriek from DW with the credit card 'possible fraud alert' of a total a bit over seven hundred.