Niche Zero grinder - Page 127

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fisher

#1261: Post by Fisher »

I read comments stating rdt is not recommended with Niche grinders; what about grinding frozen beans in the Niche? Is grinding frozen beans going to cause any trouble down the road?

Fisher

#1262: Post by Fisher »

dominoak wrote:In my experience, Cdn. duty _was_ charged @ 8%. Aramex brokerage/handling fee was $12. Total, with GST, was $122.58. Processing and shipping were relatively quick. Have not received the grinder yet.
15% sales tax + 8% duty + $12 fee came to $204 for my order... total will depend on provincial sales tax rate.

sweaner

#1263: Post by sweaner »

Fisher wrote:I read comments stating rdt is not recommended with Niche grinders; what about grinding frozen beans in the Niche? Is grinding frozen beans going to cause any trouble down the road?
Though RDT has not been "recommended," many of us will tell you that it works just fine. I have also ground frozen beans without any issues.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Spitz.me

#1264: Post by Spitz.me replying to sweaner »

+1
Frozen beans are of no concern. I didn't think twice. I continue using the Niche as I used the K10. I won't shy away from RDT if needed either.
LMWDP #670

twifkak

#1265: Post by twifkak »

What are folks doing when adjusting the Niche finer (e.g. from press pot to espresso)? My previous grinder was a Baratza Virtuoso, so I got trained on grinding while adjusting, and am inclined to follow DaveC's advice at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lMoJqp-Rw but it's... kind of annoying.

Can I press the safety button with a chopstick while rotating the funnel? Will that harm the machine? (I promise not to stick my finger in the middle. :wink: )

Or is the retention really so minimal that one needn't bother?

LCProaster

#1266: Post by LCProaster »

I press my safety switch down with a Q tip when adjusting finer. This works well for me and I still have all my fingers.

Soharu

#1267: Post by Soharu »

Any idea on $$$ costs it will be on slowpoursupply?

sweaner

#1268: Post by sweaner »

twifkak wrote:What are folks doing when adjusting the Niche finer (e.g. from press pot to espresso)? My previous grinder was a Baratza Virtuoso, so I got trained on grinding while adjusting, and am inclined to follow DaveC's advice at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lMoJqp-Rw but it's... kind of annoying.

Can I press the safety button with a chopstick while rotating the funnel? Will that harm the machine? (I promise not to stick my finger in the middle. :wink: )

Or is the retention really so minimal that one needn't bother?
I just turn it. If it gets a bit hard to turn I run the grinder for a couple of seconds.
Scott
LMWDP #248

tglodjo

#1269: Post by tglodjo »

twifkak wrote:What are folks doing when adjusting the Niche finer (e.g. from press pot to espresso)?
I run the grinder and press the safety button down with a toothpick. Used to keep opening and closing the lid, but that got tiresome very quickly. Haven't had any issues with the toothpick/continuous run method.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#1270: Post by mivanitsky »

RDT and Niche are fine. Frozen beans are a nonissue with any quality grinder.

I use the older Kafatek WDT tool to defeat the safety switch on Niche, when using puffer.

Never load Niche hot... it popcorns violently.

Since my work MAX is out on loan, I'm using exclusively Niche Zero with LR currently. It's a great grinder. If you are unable/unwilling to pay for an MC3, or are frustrated by the Kafatek lottery, then this is 85-90% as good, at a very nice price point.