Niche Zero grinder - Page 126

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mgwolf

Postby mgwolf » Jun 19, 2019, 2:20 pm

I found a good bellows for my Niche, an OXO cake decorating tool which works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Bakers-Silic ... r=8-1&th=1

NickKrebs

Postby NickKrebs » Jun 21, 2019, 1:35 am

I've had the Niche grinder for several weeks and simply put it's incredible. I, like many of you, have lost out on the KafaTek sweepstakes several times, so I decided to move on. Prior to buying the Niche, I'll admit I was bias because I wasn't spending over $2k on a "titan" single-dose grinder. Let's be honest many people, including myself, equate cost to quality. While this is true in most cases (and yes, Denis's machines are incredible), this Niche grinder is one of the best values out there for what you get. DaveC's evaluation of this grinder is fabulous and really everything he states in the review is spot on. I've used many grinders in the past in the prosumer category and the Niche is a better grinder in nearly every way possible. I've never had my GS3 shine like it has these last few weeks with the Niche. I use a lot of coffee from Slate, Corvis, Sweet Bloom, Huckleberry, JBC and this grinder really does a phenomenal job at bringing out nuances of flavors I've never experienced before both with Espresso and pour-over. The grind is extremely consistent, never clumped, almost no retention as advertised. I've heard many folks messing with the calibration out of the box, this grinder really doesn't need to be touched honestly. I run my espresso from 13 to 24 on the dial depending on the beans I'm using and can get really nice articulation of the extraction ratios I want, typically pulling 1:1.8-1:3. There is a little spatter over of chaff mostly toward the end of the grind with pop-corning but this is trivial and can be minimized by a spritz or two of RDT. I love conicals and this grinder can and will hold its own against the MonCon or HSM grinder. The Niche certainly may not be as robust as either of these titans and likely not crafted with the exact specs that Denis provides but the cost and quality of the Niche is very hard to beat. In the cup I just don't see a $1300-1500 difference. Also the Niche just looks great in the home environment...its compact easier to move around. I've sanded down the oak parts and stained them to match my GS3 oak panels. Don't hesitate to buy this grinder, it has exceeded my expectations.
★ Helpful

ash4889

Postby ash4889 » Jun 21, 2019, 3:15 am

NickKrebs wrote:I've had the Niche grinder for several weeks and simply put it's incredible. I've sanded down the oak parts and stained them to match my GS3 oak panels. Don't hesitate to buy this grinder, it has exceeded my expectations.

How did you get off the feet, in order to sand them??

LObin

Postby LObin » Jun 21, 2019, 9:00 am

NickKrebs wrote:I've had the Niche grinder for several weeks and simply put it's incredible. I, like many of you, have lost out on the KafaTek sweepstakes several times, so I decided to move on. Prior to buying the Niche, I'll admit I was bias because I wasn't spending over $2k on a "titan" single-dose grinder. Let's be honest many people, including myself, equate cost to quality. While this is true in most cases (and yes, Denis's machines are incredible), this Niche grinder is one of the best values out there for what you get. DaveC's evaluation of this grinder is fabulous and really everything he states in the review is spot on. I've used many grinders in the past in the prosumer category and the Niche is a better grinder in nearly every way possible. I've never had my GS3 shine like it has these last few weeks with the Niche. I use a lot of coffee from Slate, Corvis, Sweet Bloom, Huckleberry, JBC and this grinder really does a phenomenal job at bringing out nuances of flavors I've never experienced before both with Espresso and pour-over. The grind is extremely consistent, never clumped, almost no retention as advertised. I've heard many folks messing with the calibration out of the box, this grinder really doesn't need to be touched honestly. I run my espresso from 13 to 24 on the dial depending on the beans I'm using and can get really nice articulation of the extraction ratios I want, typically pulling 1:1.8-1:3. There is a little spatter over of chaff mostly toward the end of the grind with pop-corning but this is trivial and can be minimized by a spritz or two of RDT. I love conicals and this grinder can and will hold its own against the MonCon or HSM grinder. The Niche certainly may not be as robust as either of these titans and likely not crafted with the exact specs that Denis provides but the cost and quality of the Niche is very hard to beat. In the cup I just don't see a $1300-1500 difference. Also the Niche just looks great in the home environment...its compact easier to move around. I've sanded down the oak parts and stained them to match my GS3 oak panels. Don't hesitate to buy this grinder, it has exceeded my expectations.

Please post some pics of your NZ with stained wood! I've been wanting to do it on mine to match the wenge wood on my Londinium. I need a little convincing...

NickKrebs

Postby NickKrebs » Jun 21, 2019, 9:28 pm

ash4889 wrote:How did you get off the feet, in order to sand them??

You'll need a 3mm metric hex wrench, unscrew the feet from below. Of warning the back screws hold the main body of the grinder to the base, so be careful removing these. Also try not to uncoil your cord too much, it winds up in the base. You can also unscrew the wood on top with a 4mm hex wrench. Pretty straightforward. I'll post pics later when I get time. Hope this helps.

NickKrebs

Postby NickKrebs » Jun 22, 2019, 11:44 am

LObin wrote:Please post some pics of your NZ with stained wood! I've been wanting to do it on mine to match the wenge wood on my Londinium. I need a little convincing...

Sorry I don't have great before pics. When I stained, first use 220-300 grit sandpaper to prep, wipe the dust off the wood, then use stain of choice. Sherwin Williams can color match any custom color for you. They do a great job, recommend going to them for the stain you want. I used 5 coats on mine to darken it to the depth I was looking for. I decided to not use any overlying polyurethane coating, didn't want it shiny. Added a picture of my overall setup so folks can get an idea for the size of the Niche, it fits perfectly. I have a cold brew tower and a Puqpress Q2 on their way to complete my setup. Also, if anyone is interested in a custom machine, contact Dan from Specht Designs in Melbourne AUS. He's one of the best.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Jun 22, 2019, 7:38 pm

Super tidy and good looking set up there :)

Kleefisch

Postby Kleefisch » Jun 23, 2019, 7:03 am

mgwolf wrote:I found a good bellows for my Niche, an OXO cake decorating tool which works very well:
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Bakers-Silic ... r=8-1&th=1

Would be interesting to know how you use it - with any spout or without? I suppose it can only be done when the burrs are not spinning (since NZ will switch off when the lid get's opened)?

mgwolf

Postby mgwolf » Jun 23, 2019, 1:14 pm

Would be interesting to know how you use it - with any spout or without? I suppose it can only be done when the burrs are not spinning (since NZ will switch off when the lid get's opened)?

For sure without the spout. I left the large black ring on it to provide some support for the silicone, but the silicone material provide a good seal with the inside of the grinder and it just takes a squeeze or two to blow out all the remaining grounds (all .3 or .4 gms).

TV33

Postby TV33 » Jun 23, 2019, 5:08 pm