Niche Zero grinder - Page 125

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redexjames

#1241: Post by redexjames »

jchung wrote:Occasionally, little bits of coffee beans will slip between the lid and the top of the collar and land on the ring. I'm assuming this mod is to fill that space.

YES!!

maximatica

#1242: Post by maximatica »

redexjames wrote:YES!!
I'll be offering an "old skool" espresso prep class soon. It'll show you all the ins/outs of making espresso and keeping your gear in good order.

We will spend perhaps an hour to tutor you on the fine points of using a slightly damp paper towel to wipe away the debris that sometimes escapes the grinder, both up near the input area and down at the exit chute.

Although this was once a well-known technique it seems to have been lost to antiquity and we will be spearheading a revival.

PM me for rates for the classes and to get your payment on the books so you don't miss out.

Max./

(yours in jest but . . . )

DaveC

#1243: Post by DaveC »

redexjames wrote:Reduce vibration
<image>
What ever you do make absolutely sure the tape goes around 80-90% of the burr circumference and never overlap it. Yours looks less than half way and this is going to be sub optimal for the grinder.

Spitz.me

#1244: Post by Spitz.me »

I'm using a POD filter adapter I got with the 920xl to contain my beans. It's working really well and I don't really have complaints. I think, however, if I ever had to dose closer to 25g it might get tricky to cover all of the beans. No sweat under 21g though.

LMWDP #670

redbone

#1245: Post by redbone »

This inexpensive food grade silicone cup topper labeled as tea bag holder is versatile. Useful for pop corning during grinding. Use mine as a cap for Chemex and glass carafe as well as mug topper.

https://primulaproducts.com/category/te ... ag-holder/
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Felice

#1246: Post by Felice »

The "mods" we're all doing are a real testament to the engineering of the Niche. They seem to revolve around the enthusiasts need to tinker yet there being so precious little to improve.

My light remains on all the time, as long as the machine is plugged in. I think I recall someone else mentioning it but can't remember if everyone's did or if it's a feature only a few of us get.

This grinder is amazing, and I've only got maybe 4lbs through it, as all agree, super easy to use, repeatable settings, relatively quiet and very, very fine espresso. I'm using a modded gaggia classic and a microcasa. The drip I've made made me think of diner coffee but better, it had a touch of bitterness and yet a little acidic bite. Enjoyable but not the clarity of a Prescio burr or the ssp brew burrs I'm currently using. Very pleased.

jasonmolinari

#1247: Post by jasonmolinari »

Yup, my light stays on too.

false1001

#1248: Post by false1001 »

redexjames wrote:Reduce vibration
<image>
<image>

<image>
<image>

<video>
Great mod but watching you grind that quaker bothered me more than it should have

Moka 1 Cup

#1249: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Similar solution. With a plus, for those who care.

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

dominoak

#1250: Post by dominoak »

Fisher wrote:Bengee,
Good to hear a report, thanks. (Duty should not have been charged for shipment from UK to Canada; only sales tax should be owing.)
In my experience, Cdn. duty _was_ charged @ 8%. Aramex brokerage/handling fee was $12. Total, with GST, was $122.58. Processing and shipping were relatively quick. Have not received the grinder yet.