Niche Zero grinder - Page 123

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pGolay

#1221: Post by pGolay »

Check the Buy/Sell forum - there's a nearly new Niche there as we speak.
-PG

LIMEhfh96

#1222: Post by LIMEhfh96 replying to pGolay »

Thanks for the headsup - but since I am not located in the US I just ordered a new black one from the website.

Advertisement
LIMEhfh96

#1223: Post by LIMEhfh96 »

Just a follow up on my concerns with grinding light nordic roasted beans - the Niche grinds it with ease! Highly recommended!

LostCreekSooner

#1224: Post by LostCreekSooner »

My Niche Zero coffee story - heads up - there will be NO JUDGING!!! :shock:

I have never been a big coffee drinker. There was a short period in college that I drank coffee made by my roommate, but I always complained that it was too weak. (Uh, and we made it as 'thick' as we could!). Contrast that with my wife, who for the last 10+ years likes a cup every morning. Unfortunately, she continually complained that her coffee wasn't good. Lucky for me, she didn't spend money at Starbucks all the time. However, I bet we purchased 15 different coffee makers over the years, including a nice Keurig, looking for something to make good coffee. (Reminder - I said NO JUDGING!!!). Anyway, I never paid attention and let her do her thing. Retrospectively in my new knowledge, I suspect those big cans of Folgers that were 2+ months old made some really crappy coffee. Haha.

Well, a couple of years ago she tried a relatives Breville Barista Express and she fell in love with it. I almost lost my mind when we spent close to $500 for a COFFEE MAKER. Of course, it's been a great investment because she loves her Americano and is such the happy person every morning now. Well, it's an Anericano for 5 seconds until she dumps a gallon of hazelnut creamer into the cup. :oops:

One day a few months ago I was sleep deprived and needed some caffeine to make it through the day. I watched her make an espresso (pretty sure I still called it EX-PRESSO) and add water. Hmmm... so I thought hey, if I actually added less water I could get stronger coffee? It didn't take me long to just lose the water and drink the coffee straight. I think I was on to something. We used Starbucks Dark Espresso beans (stop the judging!) - and I even convinced her to try the Blonde version (yuk). OK, here is where the story really begins.

I noticed the coffee tasted different from time to time, especially if I made a single vs double espresso. (Yes, I finally stopped using the word EX-PRESSO by now). This led me to look at the manual. OMG - there was a dial on the side of the machine to adjust the grinder??? Are you kidding me - who would think of that??? I would have been happy using our blender to grind the beans. And you could program the temp and timing of the buttons??? (And I'm about done reiterating to stop judging me!!!).

Now I'm very intermittently drinking coffee at home in the mornings. Then one day at work, I decide to get a cup of Starbucks blend from the cafeteria. Ugh - taste was reasonable but back to my watered down coffee. Hmm, maybe I could buy a Breville and put it in the office? We have a ton of employees that walk across the street to Starbucks every day. Surely it would be cheaper to have a nice Breville and save everyone some money? Hello Craigslist - I'll find someone dumping their Breville and buy it for work. Wait a minute, here is a cool coffee maker for sale for $300. An Expobar Brewtus IV with rotary pump an a small leak from the bottom of the broiler. Who would pay $300 for an espresso machine that is broke? (Oh, the mistakes we make in life!!!). Holy crap, there is such a thing as a $2000 coffee maker? Are people nuts!!! What do you mean Breville isn't meant to be used in the office? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The ex-engineer in me starts researching all of the prosumer machines and their technology. Then I'm on to grinders - which type of burrs, retention, heat, etc etc etc. Oh boy - I'm not even all that hooked on coffee but gimme gimme gimme a great grinder and a Profitec Dual Boiler with Flow Control!!! Hahahahaha. Now my wife thinks I'm the crazy one! (You can judge me on that part.)

I have not pulled the trigger yet on an espresso machine. I was however convinced enough that the Niche Zero would be the perfect grinder for home use with max couple of drinks per day. I purchased one a few weeks ago and it arrived today. Packaging shows manufactured in China. Build quality seems excellent. Based on this thread, I decided not to recalibrate, and used 19 as my starting grind. Shocked at the difference in grind texture and more importantly no clumping. Pulled a single shot on the Breville (and that is your last chance to judge) - and has the best espresso I have ever made - not bitter or burnt at all. (Obviously wrong grind settings on Breville too.)

Anyway, super happy with my $600 grinder (hahaha to my wife) and will post an update somewhere when I decide on a prosumer machine. Also off to a local bean supplier to try something better! Hope everyone is having a great day. Later!

Special thanks to WholeLatteLove for all of your informational videos. Very informative and helpful.

LostCreekSooner

#1225: Post by LostCreekSooner »

P.S. The following is a PERFECT fit to puff out a tiny bit of residual grinds. I purchased off Amazon.

OXO Good Grips Baker's 4-Piece Silicone Decorating Bottle Kit, Clear

Lilybell2

#1226: Post by Lilybell2 replying to LostCreekSooner »

Welcome to the land of the lost! :D

Enjoy your slide down the slippery slope.

Moka 1 Cup

#1227: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Found a funnel for my new IMF 8g "The Single" basket. On Amazon. It works well with the tall Decent Espresso stand.

Without adding water (the picture does not show the ground coffee on the counter, but there was a lot, plus a good amount behind the chute)

With water, same coffe just different light

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Advertisement
Fisher

#1228: Post by Fisher »

(removed duplicate post)

grover

#1229: Post by grover »

LostCreekSooner wrote:P.S. The following is a PERFECT fit to puff out a tiny bit of residual grinds. I purchased off Amazon.

OXO Good Grips Baker's 4-Piece Silicone Decorating Bottle Kit, Clear
Still new to using bellows. Do you just place this on top without the cap and push down?

Fisher

#1230: Post by Fisher »

tglodjo wrote:Yes. Granted the Sette (with BG burrs) isn't that great for pour over grinding, but the Niche is night and day difference in the lesser amount on fines produced. Have also compared with Virtuoso, Vario, and Feldgrind. The Niche is probably closest to my Feldgrind in terms of coarser consistency. I can't compare it to an EK43 or anything like that, but I've been very impressed when compared to my (limited) experience with other "all-in-one" type grinders.
I am really interested to hear how the Niche compares "in the cup" with the Feldgrind... but for espresso only, not pour over. Did you find quite noticeable differences in taste & mouthfeel?