Niche Zero grinder - Page 121

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Spitz.me

#1201: Post by Spitz.me »

DaveC wrote:calibration just means we are all comparing apples with apples. This is because without that your grinder could be grinding espresso at 1 or 50 depending on where you set the black ring...which is like the rotating bezel on a divers watch. So mentioning no names, but there have been people who adjusted the black clicky ring (which is just an indicator) with the expectation the grind was going to change. This resulted in some rather strange posts of people grinding really fine at 2 very different settings (again mentioning no names).

DFor anyone very new to grinders it's the silver funnel that needs to be gripped and adjusted whilst avoiding the black clicky ring (which is only used to indicate the zero point at calibration)..this might help anyone having trouble. If the top burr is moving freely (up and down) and you can turn the silver funnel and the springs are in place, then it's a physical impossibility for the grind level not to adjust.

On a properly adjusted grinder, depending on bean varietal, age dose, pressure profile and basket, then the normal range for espresso is from 15 to 24. Most people on standard machines and baskets tend to fall around the 18-21 mark.
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I didn't know.

I'll look into calibration. My espresso range is within that "normal" range you speak of. Based on the tasty beverages I make and the fact that my grinder looks to be normal, I'll wait.
LMWDP #670

Okccraft

#1202: Post by Okccraft »

I received my Niche in this last batch, and calibrated per DaveC's video. When I started grinding at the 20 mark I was way to fine and choked my machine. I ended up at almost 40 for my grind setting to get a typical 18 in 36 out in about 35secs. At that point I moved the indicator ring to 20 assuming this would get me in the ballpark to compare my settings to others. Not sure this was the right thing to do, just thought I would share my experience.

kenyabob

#1203: Post by kenyabob »

I wouldnt take that course. Once set to calibrate, the black ring and chrome top should move in unison. Moving the black ring separately won't yield anything positive.

wchesebro

#1204: Post by wchesebro »

jchung wrote:I would re-calibrate the Niche Zero per the Dave Corby video on Youtube. You may also want to take the top burr carrier off and inspect the burrs and springs for anything out of the ordinary. Again, Dave Corby has a video on how to take it apart and clean it. If you still have a problem, then should probably contact Niche.
I calibrated per DaveC's video, yet need several full turns to grind anything but powder.

jchung

#1205: Post by jchung replying to wchesebro »

I would then take the top burr off, check the threads, check the springs, etc... and make sure everything is ok. Perhaps there is something that is preventing the burr from moving up and down properly. If it all checks out ok, then I would contact Niche.

FlyInfinity

#1206: Post by FlyInfinity »

Considering the adjustment can go all the way around, I wish the numbers went all the way around too.

Nick Name

#1207: Post by Nick Name replying to FlyInfinity »

Since the machine is easily adjustable from one grind to another it would make sense, but there is a simple workaround for that.

You can make your own mark (paint, tape, sticker, whatever you want as long as you can tell them apart from each other) on the exact opposite side (180°) where the original mark is. That way either one of them is always marking a number and it's easier to keep track of what you're doing.

FlyInfinity

#1208: Post by FlyInfinity replying to Nick Name »

Yea I know it can be worked around, but imo its an oversight. For now what I did was set the grinder to 50, then put a small dot sticker on the adjustment ring at 0. Now If the dot is at 1 the real value is 51, etc. That way I dont have to try and look at the back side of the ring when I go really coarse.

sweaner

#1209: Post by sweaner replying to FlyInfinity »

Not sure how you see it as an oversight. I am grinding for espresso at about #20, and drip at "negative #10." This grinder gives a very wide range of adjustability. It would not be possible to have the adjustment numbers help with that. The only thing that Niche could do is add a second adjustment dot of a different color at 180 degrees, but that is easy enough for us to do.
Scott
LMWDP #248

rg60614

#1210: Post by rg60614 »

I got my Niche Zero recently and have been very happy with it so far. Has anyone here tried dosing directly into the portafilter with one of the funnels? I was thinking about 3d printing a stand and funnel but wanted to check here first about any experiences.