Niche Zero grinder - Page 120

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
maximatica

Postby maximatica » May 11, 2019, 4:23 pm

The guide that came with mine (received just last week) stated that it had been calibrated at the factory for a setting of 20 for espresso. The dial was really at about 21 and I left it and started making coffee.

It was right on the money. Now that it has been a week, I thought I would adjust slightly for the age of the beans as I always did with my Macap (I used to adjust that daily with the worm drive).

Well, the amount of adjustment needed was minuscule and I even had to come back a tiny bit.

So, I'm sure it is the beans and/or the particular machine but I would recommend folks run it as delivered for a while to see if it needs any adjusting, it might be spot on.

HTH.

rg60614

Postby rg60614 » May 11, 2019, 5:17 pm

I got mine a few days ago set at 20 and i had to dial it to 18 to get my desired espresso. I've been pretty happy with it so far and looking forward to exploring what it can do with my linea mini.

LObin

Postby LObin » May 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

I just exchanged emails with James from Niche Coffee. They set the units at 20 as a safety measure so people don't run the grinders at calibrate which would damage the burrs.

I have to say I am more than pleased with the customer service and support from Niche Coffee. Good way to start my NZ journey that's for sure!

wchesebro

Postby wchesebro » May 16, 2019, 10:05 am

I received my Niche yesterday and calibrated it out of the box. I set it to 20 and it takes forever to grind 17 grams. I then clog my aeropress and pull it apart, clean, then recalibrate. I then set it to 50 and it goes faster yet still grinds almost turkish. The upper burr moves freely. Any thoughts?

Spitz.me

Postby Spitz.me » May 16, 2019, 10:51 am

Wait, is there a requirement to calibrate the grinder out of the box? I missed that memo. I'm also having no issue getting delicious coffee with it though.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

jchung
Supporter ♡

Postby jchung » May 16, 2019, 11:03 am

wchesebro wrote:I received my Niche yesterday and calibrated it out of the box. I set it to 20 and it takes forever to grind 17 grams. I then clog my aeropress and pull it apart, clean, then recalibrate. I then set it to 50 and it goes faster yet still grinds almost turkish. The upper burr moves freely. Any thoughts?

I would re-calibrate the Niche Zero per the Dave Corby video on Youtube. You may also want to take the top burr carrier off and inspect the burrs and springs for anything out of the ordinary. Again, Dave Corby has a video on how to take it apart and clean it. If you still have a problem, then should probably contact Niche.

jchung
Supporter ♡

Postby jchung » May 16, 2019, 11:05 am

Spitz.me wrote:Wait, is there a requirement to calibrate the grinder out of the box? I missed that memo. I'm also having no issue getting delicious coffee with it though.

Its not an absolute requirement. More of a best practice.

kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » May 16, 2019, 11:15 am

I just opened mine yesterday. I was anxious to use it, so I started grinding without re-calibrating. Im sure that within a week or two, Ill open it all up to clean it, and recalibrate when I put it back together. I honestly dont quite see what the advantage is to recalibrating out of the box, aside from the fact that your numbers will potentially be off, and what you felt like was your ideal number for your favorite espresso is actually something 2 clicks higher or lower.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » May 16, 2019, 11:16 am

calibration just means we are all comparing apples with apples. This is because without that your grinder could be grinding espresso at 1 or 50 depending on where you set the black ring...which is like the rotating bezel on a divers watch. So mentioning no names, but there have been people who adjusted the black clicky ring (which is just an indicator) with the expectation the grind was going to change. This resulted in some rather strange posts of people grinding really fine at 2 very different settings (again mentioning no names).

DFor anyone very new to grinders it's the silver funnel that needs to be gripped and adjusted whilst avoiding the black clicky ring (which is only used to indicate the zero point at calibration)..this might help anyone having trouble. If the top burr is moving freely (up and down) and you can turn the silver funnel and the springs are in place, then it's a physical impossibility for the grind level not to adjust.

On a properly adjusted grinder, depending on bean varietal, age dose, pressure profile and basket, then the normal range for espresso is from 15 to 24. Most people on standard machines and baskets tend to fall around the 18-21 mark.

kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » May 16, 2019, 11:21 am

@DaveC, a considered answer, thank you.

In my case, the out of the box 21/22 was slightly too coarse for espresso, dialing down a few points got me exactly where I needed to be. I felt that, if incorrectly calibrated, the difference would have been a few points at most.