Niche Zero grinder - Page 111

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Notnert

#1101: Post by Notnert »

Like others, I've started using a blind basket as a cover to the beans to prevent popcorning and to keep the inside area free of particles. Works pretty well!

I wonder if Niche would design a lid with a bit of plastic on the inside of the cover to emulate a blind basket or Pringles cover. One thing I wanted was some sort of bellows to push grinds out of the grinder. I've been opening and almost slamming the lid close to get the 0.2g -0.3g left over in the grinder.

DaveC

#1102: Post by DaveC »

Notnert wrote: I've been opening and almost slamming the lid close to get the 0.2g -0.3g left over in the grinder.
Oh don't do that, you are simply trying (without realising) to defeat all the things that should be working for you in the design.Let the coffee stay in there most of it compacts and no longer exchange with fresh coffee. Even if it did, which it won't, you can't taste 0.3g, I can guarantee that and your dose variance will quickly reduce to around 0.06g to 0.08g

Notnert

#1103: Post by Notnert replying to DaveC »

Hrmmm, I think I'm just in my head about the zero retention. I used to use a LIDO-E and weighed my beans pre-grind, but never post. Now that I'm using the Niche, I've been weighing pre and post-grind. That's probably what my issue is. I know the LIDO-E left a lot of grinds caked on the bottom so I'll just let it be for now. It'll be a while before I season the burrs with 5kg of beans. I only drink 1 latte a day during the weekdays, and only on my second 1lb bag.

Thanks for the advice, Dave!

Moka 1 Cup

#1104: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I don't think it is the case to open a specific thread for this so I am going to ask here.

My understanding is that the cup that comes with the Niche is an integral part of the design and of how the Grinder is supposed to work.
However, I want to be able to use it without the cup and dose straight to the portafilter. The cup does not really work well with my funnel (and I cannot avoid the funnel due to the specific basket that I am using).
I began using a Decent rest (results here: Niche Zero grinder) but yesterday and this morning I noticed that it works quite well, actually better, if I keep the portafilter low, resting on the cup coaster, as shown in the following video. Very little or no ground coffee on the counter. The little that can be seen in the picture is because I had positioned the portafilter to the left instead of centering perfectly under the chute.
I am planning on making a rest for the portafilter, either out of wood or plastic. I could use the Decent rest but it seems that a lower rest would work better (I do not know why though).

I have two questions:

1) Does anybody know if the wood is threated for water? I assume not but you never know.

2) Is anybody else dosing directly into the protafilter, and if so, how? Just by keeping the portafilter in the hand?

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

TV33

#1105: Post by TV33 »

On my side I did this, it worked well and it is not expensive ...

but finally, after some resistance (by nature it is always difficult to change a ritual), I adopted the intended use with the bowl, much better for my taste.

The rest of my little amateur tests here

http://escapadoenophile.com/niche-grinder/

JohnStuartP

#1106: Post by JohnStuartP »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I don't think it is the case to open a specific thread for this so I am going to ask here.

My understanding is that the cup that comes with the Niche is an integral part of the design and of how the Grinder is supposed to work.
However, I want to be able to use it without the cup and dose straight to the portafilter. The cup does not really work well with my funnel (and I cannot avoid the funnel due to the specific basket that I am using).
I began using a Decent rest (results here: Niche Zero grinder) but yesterday and this morning I noticed that it works quite well, actually better, if I keep the portafilter low, resting on the cup coaster, as shown in the following video. Very little or no ground coffee on the counter. The little that can be seen in the picture is because I had positioned the portafilter to the left instead of centering perfectly under the chute.
I am planning on making a rest for the portafilter, either out of wood or plastic. I could use the Decent rest but it seems that a lower rest would work better (I do not know why though).

I have two questions:

1) Does anybody know if the wood is threated for water? I assume not but you never know.

2) Is anybody else dosing directly into the protafilter, and if so, how? Just by keeping the portafilter in the hand?
I keep my portafilter dry, so the treatment of the wood has never concerned me, but I do quite often let the bottomless portafilter I use for the Europiccola just rest on the cup holder. It seems to work great as long as there is some sort of funnel like you are using.

Moka 1 Cup

#1107: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Thanks to both. I have just ordered the Decent low profile portafilter stand as well. I had forgotten they had that options too and it's definitely easier than making one.

Moka 1 Cup

#1108: Post by Moka 1 Cup replying to Moka 1 Cup »

It looks like the people at Decentespresso had the same idea. This is a picture they posted of FB.

Moka 1 Cup

#1109: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

With the standard portafilter stand. Until I receive the low profile version.

LObin

#1110: Post by LObin »

Not sure if it was posted here but saw this earlier today:

Niche Zero Grinder Review

The Niche Zero did amazing when compared with high end, industry references grinders!

Until now, waiting for a shipping confirmation wasn't particularly hard. It just got way harder now...
LMWDP #592