Niche Zero grinder - Page 110

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#1091: Post by LObin »

johnX wrote:I am pretty sure my Niche grinder has a metal body, with a lid that is plastic.
These are usually not the kind of parts which you would have issues with when you move your production oversea...

Oh and the lid is actually polycarbonate.

And assuming yours is the US version, you don't have to stay up at night worrying about the added carbon footprint of a grinder, sent by plane, from China all the way to the Finger Lakes. Beautiful region and great great wine btw.

One other thing you won't have to worry about is the question about China and human rights...

But this is a coffee forum, not a political one.
LMWDP #592

mdreuben
Supporter ❤

#1092: Post by mdreuben »

I've just received the Acaia Portafilter Dosing Cup and am experimenting with it. I'm grinding into the cup and inverting it into the portafilter. Then shaking both together up and down for about five seconds. So far a distribution tool or WDT hasn't been needed. So far it's working very well. The cup is heavier and a little more substantial feeling than the standard cup, weighing about 20 grams more. Photos are attached.

https://acaia.co/collections/accessorie ... 2882767895

Moka 1 Cup

#1093: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I'm still in the experimentation phase :lol:

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

pcrussell50

#1094: Post by pcrussell50 »

rockethead26 wrote:I would like to add to this discussion that I have solved the static and mess issues with the Niche with absolutely no 3D designing and printing of parts.

Two things solved the static issue for me. First, based on info here, I used my Dremel tool with a polishing head to buff the inside of the cup and grinds sticking to the side are greatly reduced. Second, I bought a metal dissecting probe off Amazon to use for WDT instead of my previous toothpick and it also helps reduce static inside the cup with a little WDT.

The little bit of counter and grind setting dial mess was virtually eliminated with the single dose basket trick mentioned here as well and the addition of a Fruition funnel to ease transfer from cup to basket.

The use of WDT, the single dose basket and the funnel add about 15 seconds to my workflow and makes everything neater with better consistency.
Apologies for having not yet read past this point, but why not RDT? Why all the futzing around with this kludge and that kludge, when a simple RDT and you're done? This would be the first low retention grinder I've ever heard of, where RDT didn't completely and utterly knock out the static. Am I missing something?

RDT=> grind => WDT => distribution tool => tamp (if you must)

Every bean, every grinder, every time. Done. All bases covered, no risk taken.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#1095: Post by DucaiMann replying to pcrussell50 »

I'm with ya. It only makes sense to take the extra 20 seconds for each step to increase the odds of you getting the shot you want.

To put it into perspective, each wasted shot (assuming you are spending $15 on a 12oz bag of coffee) costs you $.88 assuming an 18g dose.

tohenk2

#1096: Post by tohenk2 replying to DucaiMann »

I'm not.

First - to each her or his own.

I polished the cup and since don't have what I *thought* were static issues at all. I still do have a little cling of particles after a few grinds when the beans are slightly oily. Only - I don't think it is static. If I use a microfiber cloth to wipe the inside of the cup it does not cling for a grind or 10. (I even went as far as grounding myself to see if this would help any - I used a wristband I also use when changing computerparts. Nope. Did not make a difference.)
If I were to use an atomizer (I do have one because I used it when singeldosing with my Macap) to add moisture to the oil there most surely would cling more.

So for me it only adds a step, mess and more time to my routine "grind in to the cup, put the portafilter on top, reverse and shake up/down and then stir".

jasonmolinari

#1097: Post by jasonmolinari »

Loving my Niche, just wanted to report on a small defect i ran into yesterday that would be a safety issue, so figured it'd be important to let people know.

Had my NZ since Mar 21. Yesterday after a normal grind i noticed the safety interlock on the lid that stops it from grinding when the lid is open jammed itself into the "activated" position, so i could turn the grinder on with the lid ajar. See pic below. I tried poking it with a toothpic to get it to pop back up into position, and nothing. About 20 minutes later i came back and it had "fixed itself".
Wondering if the tolerances on that hole are too tight for the button...anyhow, seems fine now..just a heads up

DaveC

#1098: Post by DaveC »

Press the button in and let it come out a few times, does it seem tight or "drag" as it comes up? It may just have been a stray coffee shard wedged itself in there.

Not something I have ever seen or heard of before, I can always feel mine press in when I close the lid.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#1099: Post by emradguy »

A stray bean particle seems the most plausible explanation and I could see that happen again, as the popcorn effect seems to drop particles onto the adjustment position markers with a fair bit of frequency. It's only a matter of time before one of these happens to get into the right spot to interfere with that button...but I would expect that with as many things that have to happen just so, it would be extremely rare, such that most owners would never experience the potential "safety flaw".
LMWDP #748

jasonmolinari

#1100: Post by jasonmolinari »

DaveC wrote:Press the button in and let it come out a few times, does it seem tight or "drag" as it comes up? It may just have been a stray coffee shard wedged itself in there.

Not something I have ever seen or heard of before, I can always feel mine press in when I close the lid.
That's what im guessing as well, that a piece of coffee wedged itself in there. It feels fine now.