Niche Zero grinder size setting moves when grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
swder

#1: Post by swder » Dec 01, 2019, 2:08 am

I noticed my grind size setting moves when i grind my coffee beans. I was grinding a few cups of 12grams/cup at grind setting no. 40. After the 5th cup, my grind setting moved to 41. Anyone else out there with this issue?

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen » replying to swder » Dec 01, 2019, 11:09 am

How long have you had it. How often do you clean it. Is the adjustment indicator ring loose by chance?

swder

#3: Post by swder » replying to truemagellen » Dec 01, 2019, 11:03 pm

Hi, I purchased it about 2 months ago, I use it almost everyday and I clean it every week or sometimes bi-weekly. I haven't noticed this issue before this. The black indicator ring pops out a little at one side, maybe about 1 - 2mm. It was like that when i newly purchased it.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by sweaner » Dec 01, 2019, 11:09 pm

Contact Niche. I know that they upgraded the springs to fix this.
Scott
LMWDP #248

BoulderMike

#5: Post by BoulderMike » replying to sweaner » Dec 02, 2019, 11:32 am

True, but they replaced mine and I still have the same problem.
Don't believe the hype, the Niche is OK, but it has problems for sure. This being one of them. I have had it from the beginning and it hasn't improved. In fact it is getting worse these days.
Can't wait for my Monolith Flat to arrive!

truemagellen

#6: Post by truemagellen » replying to BoulderMike » Dec 02, 2019, 1:45 pm

There is very little data to suggest this is a prevalent problem. The Monolith flat has its own issues with ground coffee compacting in the adjustment mechanism and not having repeatable grinds. Only some of the established italian grinder manufacturers have 'solved' repeatability issues, often using overly complex methods that introduce other problems. It is simply not easy to do wide swings of adjustment when your precision alignment system is encountering an ongoing dry fine particle contamination.

There was a grinder at host that flushed the grind chamber with gas to reduce retention in increase accurate repeatability, think of the complexity in that system, wild! :mrgreen:

Shojin

#7: Post by Shojin » Dec 02, 2019, 7:37 pm

Mine moves a bit. When I notice I move it back. A bit annoying, but it's not like it ruins the coffee.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by sweaner » Dec 03, 2019, 12:34 am

I have not noticed this happening with mine.

I did post a potential fix. Use clear silicone adhesive bumpers on the inner lid in the back to put slight pressure on the adjustment ring. Shouldn't take much pressure.

https://smile.amazon.com/Adhesive-Bumpe ... 605&sr=8-5
Scott
LMWDP #248

EddyQ

#9: Post by EddyQ » Dec 03, 2019, 12:44 am

Below is a link that might help: Niche Zero grinder

My Niche has been my daily grinder since Oct 2018 and it never creeped or slipped.

randyr5

#10: Post by randyr5 » replying to EddyQ » Dec 03, 2019, 10:49 am

Same here. 1 year and no slippage.