Niche Zero grinder size setting moves when grinding - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 »

swder wrote:I noticed my grind size setting moves when i grind my coffee beans. I was grinding a few cups of 12grams/cup at grind setting no. 40. After the 5th cup, my grind setting moved to 41. Anyone else out there with this issue?
You guys are not alone here at least.

This was a common complaint with the Vario. They issued a fix that works a treat, but requires inspection and possible re-"springing" every couple of years. Easy, free or cheap, and vastly worth it for the grind quality. I imagine the "fix" for the Niche will be just as good.
BoulderMike wrote:True, but they replaced mine and I still have the same problem.
Don't believe the hype, the Niche is OK, but it has problems for sure. This being one of them. I have had it from the beginning and it hasn't improved. In fact it is getting worse these days.
Can't wait for my Monolith Flat to arrive!
Not defending the Niche, I don't even have one, but I do have a current MonolithFlat and they are not without their own hype and idiosyncrasies, such as the need to run the motor when making large adjustments in the finer direction to relieve internal stresses from residual bean. Same as the Vario. And I bet the Niche too.

I doubt there is respite at any price, from certain things related to complex devices that operate under high loads (grinding beans), with high precision.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

thefisch6

#12: Post by thefisch6 »

randyr5 wrote:Same here. 1 year and no slippage.
I'm in this boat as well. Had mine since early 2019 and haven't seen it creep a mm in that time. Curious that some people are having this issue even after replacing the springs...