Niche Zero grind consistency issue - is this normal?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chalky

#1: Post by Chalky »

I've had a little more than a year with my niche and after my last cleaning of the grinder I noticed that I had to grind about 4 steps finer than before with the same coffee for espresso. Shots have been a little hit and miss and I wasn't sure why until I recently started using an aeropress for americano style coffee. It seems that theres a large variance in particle sizes that the grinder is producing, with the larger particles floating up to the top before compressing with the aeropress - you can see how the density of the particles is significantly different from the top vs bottom half.

I thought this might be misalignment that could have been caused by cross-threading the adjustment dial when reassembling the grinder but it's always been very smooth and threads on very naturally, I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this issue.

While re-seating the burrs carrier I noticed it has some play/wiggle room where it could possibly shift/tilt while operating. The burrs themselves look perfect without appearance of any wear or damage and I was wondering if this could be a possible cause for the uneven grind distribution.

I know fines are always expected but I dont think the particle sizes should be nearly 50/50 between large and small like this...

Abecker

#2: Post by Abecker »

I noticed similar play in the burrs, but after talking to Niche they said it was by design and wouldn't cause issues with the grind. I considered that there is the possibility that it could be off center and cause a mix of finer and coarser grinds.

Chalky (original poster)

#3: Post by Chalky (original poster) »

I'm still kinda stumped on why after my first thorough cleaning the grind setting had to jump 4-5 marks finer with the same roast to get back to 25sec shot time. I ignored it for the longest time but when I recently starting making aero press coffees, the pucks jumped out at me as very odd.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#4: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Is the bolt tight enough?

Chalky (original poster)

#5: Post by Chalky (original poster) replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

Yes, plenty tight with the NFC disk. I don't think the bolt affects alignment much though either.

MB

#6: Post by MB »

Did you loose a spring or two?
(Extras in the base.)
LMWDP #472

Chalky (original poster)

#7: Post by Chalky (original poster) »

Any chance this could be caused by the blend I'm using? It's not SO. Are some beans harder than others and possibly coming through the grinder coarser?

Chalky (original poster)

#8: Post by Chalky (original poster) »

MB wrote:Did you loose a spring or two?
Har har, NO! :P

MB

#9: Post by MB »

Not joking. There are two springs that are exposed when cleaning that can easily come out.
LMWDP #472

Chalky (original poster)

#10: Post by Chalky (original poster) replying to MB »

Sorry, I thought you were teasing. I removed the springs carefully before blasting their holders out with compressed air and re-seating both of them.